Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow geese on Sunday's?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joecitrano, Mar 3, 2017.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I am not a lawyer, nor a politician, but some of this stuff really doesn' make too much sense in the overall picture of things.

I understand that Sunday hunting is a state regulated thing... I have grown up hunting here in Maryland with no sunday hunting and am use to it. Even with the Sunday deer hunting days, I only have taken advantage of that on a hand full of days... However, in what is right and wrong, it gripes me to no end that Sunday hunting is not permitted due to some old blue laws ( I understand the value of blue laws when people actually all went to church and the day of rest and such; I would hazard a guess that most people do not sttend church regularly) Sunday liquor sales are permitted in several counties, but car sales not; come on Maryland what kind of **** is this? I understand in Maryland it is about the almighty dollar and who has the best lobbyist, but in todays world in all reality there is no founding for such an outdated law...

As for the compensation days, yes, we get additional days in the early season when, as we all note, we have very few ducks around anymore. What if we had those last four Sundays in january instead of four days in the second split before thanksgiving, we all might have a shot at some migratory ducks...

I am fortunate to be self employed and get to hunt pretty much when I want... but for my sons in school, they can really only go on Saturdays and during school holidays...For the rest of the working world, it translates into Saturdays only... Sunday hunting would promote the two day hunting weekend, more $$ spent on the shore during the winter, and here is the real kicker - WHO WOULD REALLY BE IMPACTED FROM SUNDAY HUNTING? No body.. THe horse community? Doubtful, they don't ride in the areas we hunt ( they better not tresspass or they will be subject to arrest per the law) Foxhunting by horse and hounds is really only conducted by a total of only seven recognized l "hunts or clubs" in Maryland all of which operated in areas not traditionally noted as waterfowl hunting areas ( inland Harford/Baltimore/Montgomery/Howard counties) Hell the fox hunters and most horse riders own or control substantial amount of land and they do not ride on the areas waterfowlers hunt - when was the last time you saw horse prints in your marsh? If they want to ride somewhere they can lease it for their sport as we do for ours...( By the way, I grew up on a horse farm, family still is very into horses, and know that many horse people actually are hunters as well)

Ok Rant is over... thanks

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I don't think it's a shame. Opinions are split on the issue enough that I'm glad opposing views are being had by hunting organizations. It shows that they can think for themselves.

I will say this. You want to see waterfowling get worse than it already is in MD??? Then go ahead and allow Sunday hunting. You will see an even more precipitous drop in the quality of hunting around here.

3. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't seem to have the effect that your talking about in other states t.

4. Trevor Shannahan

1. Very few areas have the amount of pressure as around here.

2. You can't see the effect. The only way would to have had no Sunday hunting then to allow it.

I can guarantee you that you will see a drastic decrease in quality of goose hunting inside of 3 years if we ever open up Sunday's.

5. joecitrano

I don't care about regular season this threads about conservation season only. I'm sure it could have adverse effects on quality of hunting in general. But unless your someone who can hunt weekdays, of which 90% of people can not due to full time mon- fri jobs,it's a raw deal .& once again plenty of other states have it n they somehow manage.notvgo mention just because Sunday's are open doesn't mean there all gonna get to hunt sat-sun.i for one have to get a sitter to hunt satardays n would love to have that option because my wife's busy day is satarday n is give it up for Sunday's in a heartbeat

6. joecitrano

There are 14 states that sell more licenses than md. Md also ranks #25 in total ducks and geese harvested.of these 14 states two restrict Sunday hunting. Same two of the 25 states with highest total harvest all the rest have Sunday hunting

7. Trevor Shannahan

The AF is a smaller flyway bird wise especially on the duck side. Take out duck numbers and MD is in the top 5 of Canada kills almost every year(I would think maybe not in the past 2-3 years but I haven't seen the numbers) Also take into account that 80% or more of the waterfowl hunting occurs on the eastern shore so cram all of those license sales into what would be top 3 smallest states in the country.

Also, you are looking at total kill numbers, not quality of hunting. And you aren't looking at a change from no Sunday hunting to having it.

You don't see the bigger picture. Adding Sunday's in MD would all but destroy our quality of goose hunting. It would add an ungodly amount of pressure on an already dwindling wintering population on a day that they are used to resting. Canada geese don't take to pressure kindly. They would bump back up to southern PA or head down the Bay into VA.

Also, in your other post you mentioned this wasn't about regular season, only the conservation order. If you have Sunday's for one you have it for them all, that's just the way the laws are.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I will offer an alternative theory, that opening Sundays could actually reduce pressure.

1. Guys wouldn't feel the pressure to hunt every Saturday.
    2. Many folks would alternatively choose to chase birds for a few weekends and then get their fill in a short period.
    3. You would have less pressure during the week.

This is an alternative, I'm not totally steadfast on it, I think it would be hard to prove or disprove. I will say this, I personally do not believe that hunting pressure makes birds migrate further than they have to to find refuge/food. That may mean going from Chestertown to Centreville or Easton or leaving a roost area, but I don't think that pressure is enough to make these birds fly 100+ miles.

9. Trevor Shannahan

1. I would say that you would have at least 50% more pressure on the weekend than there is currently. Not everybody will hunt both days but a good majority would. You would also see an increase in guided hunts on Saturdays because people can come hunt for 2 days instead of 1, so that adds even more pressure. Good for the economy in the short run, bad in the long run because if the hunting goes to complete crap there won't be a strong guided hunt industry bringing revenue in.

2. I highly doubt anybody who has a passion for hunting and is spending the kind of money it takes to goose hunt is going to hunt a couple of weekends and then quit when there are still weekends left to hunt.

3. The guys hunting during the week aren't the ones that are clamoring for Sunday hunting. You would see the same pressure during the week, the only difference is you would replace a rest day with a high pressure day.

The only benefit provided is a short sighted one. All the proponents of Sunday hunting will go a few years happy and then wish it never did when they are spending 2 crappy days in the field a week vs 1 decent-good day a week.

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I don't disagree with those assumptions because there really isn't a way to measure them and your guess is as good as mine.

One measurable aspect is that more days a field increases an individual's chances of having a banner day, when weather, birds, etc line up. Sunday increases that for the majority, vast majority, of guys who duck hunt.

On the economy aspect, I will counter that Sundays would bring more people spending nights on the Shore, so hotel and restaurant revenue would see a bump and I do not believe that hunting would become so terrible so as to see that fall below current levels. I also think we would unfortunately see a spike in lease prices. Adding a weekend day to the mix may also see a greater emphasis on club/property management. More managed properties, M-F rest days letting club members have it on weekends.

Again just alternatives, I agree with you that ESMD is a small place, but I disagree that Sunday would be the end of "good hunting". My anecdotal experience with this in Virginia, we did not see a huge spike on Sundays, I would venture that where I hunt we have less folks gunning than most weekdays, based on boats at the ramp and sound of gunfire.