New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow Geese Report

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Dougie, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dougie

Dougie New Member

I'm getting tired of looking at the Snow Goose Forum and seeing all kinds of reports about the Lesser Snow Geese... anyone have reports of the Greater Snow Geese coming up?
    I am from Ontario, we have a Spring Conservation Hunt for Snow Geese: but can only hunt them in our Management Unit between Cornwall and the Quebec boarder... only a 6-7 hour drive for us. One of the issues we have is the distance, the weather were we hunt is a whole lot different from where we are, even an hour from here is a world of difference. We get squalls off Lake Huron, just like NY gets them off Lake Erie and Ontario, they are actually predicting up to 6-8" tonight.
    I was interested to see a post asking about Outfitters and one member mentioning about putting together a hunt. I started to check Bird Watcher Websites and was surprised to see some Snow Geese being reported in the Finger Lake Region. But even more interesting was the report this morning from Middle Creek Refuge in Pennsylvania... 70 000 Snows, they think it may be at the peak of the migration. Having watched these birds for the last 4 years, I know that they are not far from the Finger Lakes, a day or two once they decide to start to move. I also know that when they leave the Finger Lakes they are in our fields in 2-3 days.
    What is the ice/snow cover like in the area? North versus south. Last we heard, there was very little snow in our fields in the east and no ice to speak of. Knowing these birds love to follow the snow line, I am concerned it may be a very quick migration, even more that they could blow right on by.
    Any information would be appreciated, ie snow cover, ice cover, sightings, what would be great would be if someone would let me know when large number begin to appear... and disappear. :)
    Really, any banter would be good... I'm getting excited and with the warm up coming this weekend the blood will begin to flow. We are loading our trailers with decoys this weekend, have another 4 dozen FB's on order, 8 more flyers and some new stands for 80 shell decoys are being made!

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

You ought to post this on the main forum. Not much action here and there you will get a number of states guys to potentially respond.

3. dmastin

dmastin Senior Refuge Member

We are getting snow the last 2 day's, kind of putting a damper on things. Will be watching during the next few days.

4. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

We have some snow on the ground with a hard ice shell form last week. We have however been seeing some snows locally. seems very early. I'm in Orange County by the way.

5. FrankDeGamma

FrankDeGamma Refuge Member

6. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Wife saw white geese in the finger lakes area last weekend. I didn't ask how many.

7. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I know the Snows are moving, and with the weather forecast for, say Ithaca over the next 10 days any snow still around will take a beating. We are talking temps in the upper 30's all the way to 2 days over 50'. (mind you having grown up with Celsius these Fahrenheit temps mean nothing to me).

I watch the migration on this website - if it is not already, set the date to Feb of the current year, then click on 'show points sooner', if you click on the balloon it will show you how many birds were sighted.
    http://ebird.org/ebird/map/snogoo?n...=Z&mr=on&bmo=2&emo=4&yr=cur&byr=2017&eyr=2017

The report I posted from Middle Creek is on this site http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...lifeManagementArea/Pages/MigrationUpdate.aspx

Thanks for the Snow Cover Map, I had not looked at it for a couple of weeks.

And 1bigduck, thanks for the report and the geography lesson... I did have to do a google search to find Orange County.

8. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

They are still thick in MD and DE.

Rich5294p likes this.
  9. eagle rider

eagle rider Refuge Member

got a call from a guide in MD today, he said he's got fields with flocks of 10,000 coming in daily. They aren't here yet I'm guessing.

10. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Hey guys, the reports did nothing other then get me and the boys excited... we loaded both trailers on Sunday, bought 6 more flyers and another 4 dozen FB's arrive this week, a neighbour is welding up some new stands to replace some cheaper old ones, our season opens March 1st. Still need some snow to melt on our hunting ground. Any word on movement?