New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow Geese Report

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Dougie, Feb 15, 2017.

1. dmastin

dmastin Senior Refuge Member

I have been driving 80 miles a day for the last 2 weeks and have not seen any Snows around, they could be East of me more IDK. Been waiting, have Decoy's and guns ready.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

some of the birders are reporting over 1000 snows on several days , actually with multiple reporters... all over the finger lakes....in the last 2 weeks... is that a small # based on history.....do flocks of 10,000 come through???

3. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Bob,

While I have never been to the Finger Lakes to see the Snow Geese, the birder's website does show numbers like that from last year. I changed the date to 2016 and month to Feb-Mar, on March 3rd there were three people reporting 10,000 birds on Black Lake, on March 4th a guy reported 20,000 Snows, also on the 3rd a guy reported 40,000 Snows just north of Union Springs.

Here is the map http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/map/s...&mr=on&bmo=2&emo=3&yr=range&byr=2016&eyr=2016

Here is a video from Montezuma Refuge on March 3 2016, watch the whole video, it is amazing when they get up! -

4. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Oh, BTW the birders reported flocks just south of my hunting area and just outside of Cornwall Ontario. I checked with an outfitter I have bought dekes from and he had snows flying over his house this morning... looking good for an early hunt!

5. hard rock

hard rock Senior Refuge Member

I live 20 minutes north of Middlecreek . Last nite i heard birds moving north !!!!

Dougie likes this.
  6. woodduck75

woodduck75 Refuge Member

There alot of white devils in finger lakes area right now my friends are hunting them without me im stuck at work they shot 10 yesterday over 300 decoys unfortunately my spread is home collecting dust as i work. We gonna run 1200 dekes this weekend birds are working decoys like no other ive been told. And if another guy comes down we will have 3000 out will keep you posted. Birds are here im worried it is early but this warm weather who knows what this season will bring.

Dougie likes this.
  7. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Woodduck75, that must make an impressive spread when they are all out, I'd appreciate it if you would keep us posted, if you take any post some photos.

We run a spread of over 300 full bodies, about the same in shells, I have no idea how many socks, 3 rotary machines and 10 or so flyers, we also have also programmed 5-6 Foxpro's and a sound machine with some Greater Snow Goose sounds.

8. dmastin

dmastin Senior Refuge Member

I heard Snowgeese this morning at 4 am, sleeping with the windows open last few nights and they woke me up.

9. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Drove from Rochester to Oneida and back today. Didn't see any snows. Left at 11am and got home around dark.

10. Dougie

Dougie New Member

So... how did you and the guys make out on the weekend? What does your conditions look like now? It got too damn cold for us to be out this week with wind chill it was to be -4F.