New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow Geese Report

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Dougie, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jlalley

jlalley Elite Refuge Member

I was out near Middle Creek on the 25th. Plenty of snow geese around. The migration web page has not been updated since the 27th, so I am guessing there are still 30 to 40 thousand around. They are still killing them in NC. The weather certainly has the migration spread out. I agree last week at this time the migration was heavy with all species. I did hear them at night as well. I was hoping to come up to NY around the 11th. If you guys are seeing them would you mind posting up or at least shooting a private message. Best of luck with these challenging birds.

2. woodduck75

woodduck75 Refuge Member

There has been alot of snow geese in cato and weedsport and cayuga i did not get out till today to hunt have been out of town working a few guys i know have been scratching out 10 bird days with minemal decoys 500 or so. We hunted today it pored snd lots of mud stuck vehicles we ran 100 full bodies and 600 headed socks only shot 2 it was miserable birds wanted no part of us and hit neighboring field flock after flock after flock. Probably my worst day yet. But it happens

3. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

4. Dougie

Dougie New Member

I very much appreciate the link Darkvibe, supports what I have heard from Eastern Ontario, the birds are going up and down like a yo-yo. Right on the North Shore of the St.Lawrence it is going to be -18C or -0.4F, with the windchill -28C or -18.5F. Looking at the weather forecast we could be 1 1/2 - 2 weeks before we head out.

5. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

So what is going to happen to the migration now with the last snow storm, are they going to push back south and wait until some melt or did they already push north and that's it?

6. Dougie

Dougie New Member

Eastern Ontario and Quebec got hammered as well so there is nothing up here for them, if they moved, I suspect they would have moved south. If I get any reports on birds, I'll post here.

From Middle Creek:
    Migration Update (3/15/2017): With over a 1 ½ feet of snow and icy temperatures, the Middle Creek lake is mostly frozen. Almost all waterfowl has moved out of the area with the exception of a few hundred roosting Canada geese and a few species of ducks. Keep your fingers crossed for warmer weather and spring time.

7. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Along Cayuga lake this morning saw a lot of birds in the air, a few on the lake and some in fields. Drove by Montezuma and it looked all frozen.

[​IMG]

8. jlalley

jlalley Elite Refuge Member

I have not seen much of anything around here since those nice warm up days in Feb and first part of March. Some of our local birds have gathered up again, due to the cold weather but geese are still trying to pair here. You guys up there should be covered with snows. Best of luck guys and gals.

9. corkdeke dukker

corkdeke dukker Senior Refuge Member

I saw a flock of about 150 on a field in Sullivan County on Friday. We almost never get any on the ground around here so this would be considered a big flock. I would have to think then that they are on the move again so scout some areas that traditionally hold some as I think this cloudy foggy weather would be good for getting them down lower at least. Saw at least one blue in the bunch and good numbers of Juvies. Amazing how animated they are on a field and cool how they look in the snow.

10. Dougie

Dougie New Member

I want to thank everyone for the reports, they certainly kept my blood pumping anticipating the arrival of Snows here in Ontario in huntable numbers. Well they arrived and me and the guys headed up last week. We would like to go again this spring; but its a 6 1/2 hour drive, right thru Toronto on the 401, North America's busiest highway. Another reason to not go is Spring Turkey season will soon be upon us!

Here is a post I made on another website, I know this is a NY Forum; but with the reply's I got from my initial post I thought I would share regardless...

This hunt seemed a long time coming, with the warm weather in February we were ready to go on March 1st, Opening Day! Trailers were loaded, more decoys purchased, anticipation peaking, just waiting for the birds. I followed them on their migration northward with the aid of a few websites, I checked on snow cover and ice cover on the web as well... I was pumped and ready to go! Twice I made the call to go! Once even going so far as to having booked the days off work and hotel reservations made, only to have to cancel. Texts from some friends in the east, including David Roy of St. Lawrence Outfitters told us the birds had moved south again... it was becoming frustrating and only made the anticipation levels go higher. Well, last week the 'call' was made! The birds were arriving in the thousands, the weather forecast was looking good, it was finally time!
    The day before we were to leave my partner in this informed me that due to a problematic hip, he would not be able to go... he sees the surgeon Wednesday to discuss hip replacement. We were still allowed to take his truck, trailer, and tracked Argo, as well as his share of decoys. We were to leave at 4am on Thursday morning. Two of the guys actually left at 2:30 am so that one of them could stop at a job site, do some work then carry on to our farms. In total there were 6 guys going, 2 that have been with us for 5 years, a 3rd that joined us for Manitoba and 2 'newbies' to our group. If you remember I had posted that we were looking for new members, we had a number of responses on this site was well as others. We met with all of them and settled on a GBO member and his friend, both worked out great.

These birds continue to teach us, they are constantly changing and we are having to change tactics to match them. We were actually able to get set up and hunt on Thursday, the first flock of 300 came tornadoing in and 2 birds were dropped. I could have held off on calling the shot; but with it being the first flock all of us had our nerves on edge and having had so many flocks lift off at the last minute, I wanted to make sure we got to shoot. Then for the rest of the evening we never even got a look. Friday came and it was the same thing, we had one flock take a good look, the others showed no interest until we started to tweak the spread; but still we got no takers. On Saturday we moved to a 'X' field, Friday morning it held 10,000 birds, Friday evening 1/2 that and come Saturday morning we busted birds that had been roosting in the field. The "x" field quickly became another "intercept" field; but a much better intercept field the the one we had left. The birds were not in their regular routine that we have witnessed over the last number of years, we had to adapt. We hunted all day, for half the day we took turns hunting out of the three blinds that had snow covers, once the snow started to melt we were able to move the other blinds in place as well. We ended the day with a pile, 23 Snow Geese, including one leg band. Sunday we hunted the same field and picked up 7 more geese. One was shot out of the fog, the other 6 dropped when the sun came out and a group of 300 plus tornadoed in, the call was made and 6 birds dropped... the hooting and hollering ensued!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The goose was banded near from Pond Inlet, Nunavut in 2014 when it was too young to fly.

We had sunshine, rain, freezing rain, snow, sleet, we dealt with cold temps, mud, lots of mud, snow and water; but mostly mud. You would constantly slip when walking, your boots would pick up mud and increase in weight. We ran on less then 6 hours of sleep, got sun burned, wind burned, our muscles are sore (still)... God we had fun. Lots of smiles and laughs all 'round.

darkvibe likes this.