Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow geese small spreads?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by gloszz, Aug 1, 2017.

1. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

How do you personally put out a 200 or less spread? Slightly cup it.... round circle.... family groups. Was hoping for some photos with success anybody care to post.

ksgoosekilr likes this.
  2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Few year ago in Canada. Guides screwed us on one field, ran up to another field that we shot a few days earlier for ducks. There were no snows using this field but some in the area. We threw out 5 doz 5/8 shells with the darks and ducks. We used hand calls, no e caller on a blue bird day and little wind. We shot limits of snows, mostly adults and plenty of ducks and darks

20131008_114156.jpg

snipe n likes this.
  3. ksgoosekilr

ksgoosekilr Elite Refuge Member

I'm picking up 10 dz GHG fbs. To kind of go along with the thread...what would be the best way to utilize them? Can't think of anybody else that hunts snows in the fall/winter so pressure will be minimal. Also plan to hunt some ponds in the spring

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

5. WingedShooter7

WingedShooter7 Senior Refuge Member

Anybody tried running just a smallish shell snow goose spread? Say 20 dozen. Ideally it'd be full bodies but space wise in the trailer and cost wise it'd be cheaper. Have a full sock rig of Sky Flys but want to experiment with a smaller spread.

6. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

I've been chasing snows for along time ( over 40 years ) I don't know everything but over the past few years I'm beginning to run smaller spreads. 400-600.. We used to run 1500-2000 but now I'm hunting more by myself and finding that I can get them to commit much better with less.

7. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

In general, me and my buddies run smaller spreads to, especially if we are hunting feed fields. In my area, if we get a few thousand birds staged we are in or some good hunts and will chase them with fullbodies/tnt, socks or a mix of both. Spread size can be from 100 to 500 and running these small spreads, we will space them out like a natural flock of snows do. Think I have around 250 fullbodies/TnT's and have set just them late in the year on migration days or hunting feeds and have shot birds over them as well.

Our process of setting the spread helps space them out has I will dump off a few bags were the blinds will be with a couple buddies, take the Ranger downwind 100-150 yards and start throwing out decoys in family groups and work up to the other buddies setting the main mass of decoys.

explorer17, snipe n and KID CREOLE like this.
  8. ksgoosekilr

ksgoosekilr Elite Refuge Member

CamoHunter,
    Do you run them in a donut, half moon, j, x, or just kind of separate into groups here in there with them tight around the blinds?

9. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I try to not run X, J or other type of shapes for a spread since I've never seen live birds look like that on the ground in general. With snow's, they will 99% of the time, key in on that top 1/3 of the spread and want to get to the top of the spread to get the freshest food so I just basically will set my spread in a long line with family grps spread out working myself up to the main group of decoys. Usually the spread is alot longer then it is wide and I try not to have any straight lines on the outside of the decoy spread if that makes sense. Making it has random has possible with how the decoys are spaced apart.

ksgoosekilr likes this.
  10. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

We just started hunting them the last couple years in SETX and have had good luck with 8 dozen one piece averys and 15 dozen sillosocks. We have set them different ways but always have the full bodies in the kill hole. Usually will have a main mass and then small family groups but spaced as randomly as possible like Camohunter 870 said.

Here is a picture of when we only had like 4 dozen full bodies.. You can see them right in the kill hole. We are also hunting smaller groups of geese (500-2000) so I think our small spread it more realistic.

[​IMG]

KID CREOLE likes this.