North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

snow geese this year?

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Visco, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Visco

Visco New Member

Fellow waterfowlers... looking for some information about who and where to go for snow geese? I am going to be retiring from the Marine Corps this year, and will return back to Southern LA/MS area where we do not get many if any snow geese. I have told by many that North Eastern NC is a great place for the late season Snow Geese.

any suggestions as to who would be a good guide? Or if anyone needs extra shooters in their blinds?

hope everyone has a great weekend of hunting... I will be in my blind first thing in the morning for the next two days.

2. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

The weather knocked us out of the geese the last couple weeks. Biggest flock around lately might have 5 - 600 birds in it and they aren't using any one field consistently... if we'd had the snow without the single digits every night it.would have been a different story.

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Nothing against greater snows on the East coast, but if you are retiring to the south MS/LA area you will have a lot more geese closer there. A 5 hour ride up I-55 will put you in the AR/SEMO zone for geese. I have hunted there a lot, and always shot geese. That area is a transition zone and you can find some good hunts there from January all the way through Feb. Hunting in Jan also let's you target the specs and pintails that winter there enmasse.

4. Visco

Visco New Member

We get a lot of specs, and a good number of the greater and lesser canadian's were I hunt in Louisiana, just have never hunted the snows is all. i figured this would be a good opportunity to take advantage of something that is somewhat local to me while I have it.

Thanks for the information.

5. WoodMoose

WoodMoose Senior Refuge Member

saw thousands of snow geese around Catahoula lake this year,,,,,

there are guides who make attempts at snows here in NC,,,,don't think I recall any really getting into them,,,,,but I could be wrong

6. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

The ones I know of are very hit or miss with the birds, more miss.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I guess what I was saying is that the NE Ar, SE Mo area holds hundreds of thousands of snows/blues/rosses from at least Christmas to end of Feb, sometimes longer. Being a transition zone, cold fronts push them down 50-100 miles and warms fronts move them up about the same. Seems there is always birds moving in that area.

That being said, word of caution. Everybody likes to talk a big game, but if you average 5 birds per shooter per day you are doing OK. Yes, we had some big number days where you couldn't keep gun loaded and literally wore out the dogs. But we had just as many days struggling to kill lone lost snows and keep the skunk away.

8. Visco

Visco New Member

I can remember traveling West on I-40 when we hit Arkansas... all I could see is white in the fields there was so many snows.

thanks for the advice...

9. JamesM

JamesM Refuge Member

Yeah, last time I heard the estimate it was something around ~5 million snow geese wintering on the Grand Prairie in Arkansas this year. Don’t know why anyone would waste their money hunting snow geese in NC. Spend wisely and hunt them in Missouri or Arkansas. I’d rather have a bad day of 50 birds killed than a good day if 15.

EastBound&Down likes this.
  10. Visco

Visco New Member

you have a good point... just need to find the time to get over that way. taking off for a day to hunt local is a lot easier is all I was thinking. thanks again for the advice.