Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose decoys

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Action, Nov 27, 2016.

1. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Dive Bomb snow socks excellent

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

As far as sentry to feeder/headless, we were using about 10% sentry. However, we've tapered that off the last couple of seasons and haven't noticed any difference.

hyper23 likes this.
  3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

We have always liked "the look" that headed decoys bring to the spread,,, particularly the sentries which have the effect of raising the spread. If you ever watch freshly landed geese on the field, a lot of them will be standing with their heads up making sure everything is safe before chowing down. With our paltry spreads of what might be 5- 10% of what is feeding on the field, I like to think we can imitate the new arrivals (the first few flocks onto the field) better than "comfortable birds" that have been out feeding for awhile.

How many upright heads??? Well you obviously you don't want the spread that way, typically we run about 1/4 to 1/3 as upright heads.

Motion is still the primary trigger and if you have the right wind to make your socks do their magic, I don't think heads (feeders or sentries) will make a lot of difference,,,, still we consider heads as a secondary trigger that can add that extra bit of confidence to your spread becuz we don't always have the right wind to hunt with.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I've hunted over sillosocks, white rocks, tanglefree's, green bays, and deadly's. They all have their pluses and minuses. I like the sillosocks the best and green bays a close second. The sillosocks can thrash in high winds if they're on high stakes, but they are the most realistic sock decoy. The green bays are a headless sock that handles very well in high wind. The green bay blues are a brown color but I've killed plenty of geese over them.

I'd stay away from the collapsible spine socks. They're nice for storage but if you leave your decoys overnight the spines can release and every day you go back out you have to fix a bunch of saggy butt decoys. I dealt with that allot last year with white rocks and green bays. It really gets on your nerves if you're hunting for a long period of time.

A good friend of mine who's been guiding snow geese in the spring for the last 5-6 years swears up and down that having 40-50 fullbodys in his sock spread helps finish the birds. I haven't really noticed much of a difference but he's been hunting in the spring 60 days a year during that time and I trust his judgement.

5. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Refuge Member

Op I sent you a pm of the exact spread I run on the westside of the state

6. msk

msk New Member

things to consider.......

how many guys do you hunt with? Weekdays its 2-3 of us and 600-1k FB's would take a long time
    Can you drive in most of your fields? Hauling FB's will take forever
    Do you live in a windy area? Sometimes I think i live in the most windless area of the world LOL. FB's and shells move nicely in less wind.

We like Sillosocks and the GHG FB's and shells w/ motion cones.

7. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Surprised no ones mentioned Sky Fly Decoys yet. Same if not better than a whiterock and they also offer a SS type decoy.

8. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Been using the Sky Fly for a month in Ark. no problems with them. Stakes are a bit thicker & with no point a little tougher to get in ground but overall very happy with them.

9. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

I would recommend you go take a look at Feathertek snow goose socks decoys. Longer pointed fiberglass stakes and the printed headless Snows you can still get for $500 per 10 dozen (free shipping coming soon is what they told me). We have been using for past several years and while we like the White Rocks OK the Feathertek locks up or down and while there are advantages to both we like the lock down or up feature as pick up and put out is easier. The stake length is only 2" longer than White Rock but believe me you can feel the difference after you have put out or picked up 1500 decoys. You get everything and more that you get with some of the more marketed brand but for about $100 less per 10 dozen. My two cents and I hunt a lot in NW Missouri (not guide) and can't speak highly enough about the decoy.

http://www.performancecalls.com

Good luck. We do run about 250 Avery FB's and 5/8 shells in our kill hole but for adding numbers can't beat these headless socks.

10. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Or you could just buy Sky Flys which are identical to those (pretty sure skyfly probably makes them for FeatherTek) and save yourself at least $11/dozen..