Snow Goose loads and chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Decoyin Drake, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

Whats everyones go to load and choke combnation for snow geese?

Mine is Federal "red box" 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz #1 through a Tru Lock Precision HUnter IM choke. Patterns 88% @ 40 yds to Point Of Aim in my Beretta Extremas

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Your forum name must not indicate how you hunt using shells like that ? I'm a believer of #1's in shot size but with a good decoy spread and 470 grs
    of shot at 1500 fps +or- any bird inside of 50 yds would be in serious trouble , if I do my part ! I do load my own shells and there are tricks to control pattern
    density at different distances besides changing choke contrictions but this isn't a shooting contest to see how high you can wound a bird , it's the ability to
    bring birds within a distance you can ethically kill it (more times than not) ! Snow Goose hunting is still a sport where I hunt .

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I don't sit around all day hoping snows will finish to the boot bags.
    cheap loads of 3" or 3.5" BBB, BB, #1 that pattern good. I don't over think it anymore, if it kills a honker it will kill a snow.

4. Ravenanme

Understandable , here we have a abunance of Snows but we are at the end of there migration route as by the begaining of March , they're here today
    but gone tomorrow ! We do decoy them in and as most of our shooting is within 25 yds by our 3rd or 4th shot they could be at 50 yds . This is where
    a tighter patterning shell does help but it doesn't have to be 3 1/2" long ! #1's in steel work great for us and with our reloads mostly being 2 3/4" with
    465 grs it's how we slit the wad that makes those 50 yd shots possible !

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

How much you slit’n?

6. Ravenanme

With loading a 50 plus yd load it could be (2) either 3/4'ers of the way down or 1/2 way down with (3) !
    What do you think would hold the core of the pattern together best ? Remember , it only takes 5 pellet strikes to the bird , right ?

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Really dont know, that’s why I inquired. Gonna have to split some wads for ducks, I am comfortable with 45 yd shots (prefer to decoy birds however) but don’t mind a tight pattern.

8. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

Ok thanks for the bash. The forum has too many people that cant participate without being critical. For me its about uniform pellet count and pattern density not shell length. So many guys never shoot a fiece of paper just go. Many snow goose hunters shoot 3" BB or 3 1/2" BB I know and see communicated on threads. Its not my choice but I dont bash as the larger pellets work for them

I do not reload Steel! I do Shoot 3" 1/1/4 oz of #1 red box for my first two shots but for shots 3 and 4 in the spring I use the 3 1/2 oz load with 1 1/2oz. As I said Its my perferred load for the factors outlined. Wind plays a big factor yesterday after seconfd shot starting at 25 yds there were gone from my range afeer the third shot. Also On paper they 3.5" loads printed 12% better on average in my guns at the outer limit. I do the gun work the IM choke is uniform at 88% not core tight destroy the birds. It patterned about 4% better than Mod Precision hunter with an improved core consistency for those shot at 40 ish... Shooting birds at 20 and at 45 with the same gun and choke while not tearing them up at 20 but being effiecient at 45 is going to be give and take as range changes so does the physics. Snow geese dont play nice as consistently as ducks .... well not for me any way.

I would estimate 60 % off the Snows I take are 30-40 yds , 20% in that 20-30, and 20% from 40 plus. So with 80% of my birds tken from 30-say 50 max how is my choice an issue. It works for me but my post was looking for other alternatives if a better one exists??

I reload my own bismuth duck loads and reload 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4" bismuth #5 at 1325 fps. Really nice duck load and as in my avatar you quoted " Decoyin Drake" I do decoy my ducks decoying and shoot Drake Mallards, Pintails, Wood Ducks and Canvasbacks almost without exception as I shot one hen of those 4 species in the US in the last 2 years, which was result of cloateral damage. With regard to the other species... Draks are always the priority I am not a pureist there. Teal , gadwalls, bulebills make up the balance and the odd redhead. My 2 cents!

9. Ravenanme

Hey DD , just food for thought , read what you wrote in your 3 rd paragraph ?
    Shooting birds within 40 yds , I do the same with 2 3/4" loads , loaded with 1 1/16 oz of 1's or B's for Snows . I load 32 grs of A Steel so they only travel 1450 +or- fps so they don't recoil much , This load allows me to stay in the gun on my 3 rd or 4 th shots with better followup shots . With most of these going away birds , it does take larger shot sizes to break them down with a IM choke !
    Saying this I just wanted to say , you don't need big bullets to kill Snows ! IMHO

10. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I wish we had the numbers of snow geese you guys get. Here it is 95% pass shooting on very few birds. So when I am out after Snow geese. I use the 10ga loaded with 1600fps BBB. I think it has been 5 years since I killed a snow goose inside 40 yards. And they were singles. If I had the opportunity's some of you guys get. I would use 2 loads. 1 1/16oz of 88-90 B at 1450fps. The 32gr Steel load. Or 1 1/4oz 3" 1400fps 128-130 #1 load the other 32gr Steel load. If the wind was ripping the 3" 1 1/4oz BBB load would be in the truck just incase.