Snow Goose loads and chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Decoyin Drake, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Sasktrapper

Sasktrapper New Member

I use challenger shells the 2 3/4" cause they are cheapest. Usually use 2's or 1's for everything and a patternmaster choke.

Snows are pretty easy to kill

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately we only have a 5 day late season goose out here in CA. This year, only field had permission for we couldn't run a spread as farmer wanted snows out and we still only get 3 shells. with that said, depending on how snows are working and wind, I shoot anywhere from Hevi Steel 3s to Hevi Steel BBs. In winds less than 10 mph, we use 3s for duck loads and anything within 40 yards is dead meat if it flys over. Like has been said, snows don't take a lot. but in the end whatever you have confidence putting down the barrel is what you should use.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I've shot a lot of challenger over the last few years, then switched to Score last year (made in Manitoba), but I've got a great deal and this year I am going back to Kent, which was the first real fast steel load company back in the day. As to size or shell length, I get buy on 2.75" for just about everything I shoot at. Most of my shots are within 40 yds , so I will use the SK1 choke with anything from BB to #3. There is one specific place i shoot snows coming off a roost, and they are generally at 40-50 yds up, and I have a SKII choke all shined up for that spot. Same shells in a #1 or BB normally for those longer shots.

[​IMG] or maybe even.....[​IMG]

4. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

You might be interested then, this week Federal revamped their speed shok (blue box) line. Cleaner powder, heavier and faster loads. They now have a load that matches that red box load, you might find it cheaper or patterns better. WF134, comes in T, bbb,bb,1,2
    12 3.50" Federal 1 1/2 656.0 Steel 1,500 Speed Shok Federal

They also have another new load, WF133, which is 1-3/8 oz at 1550, in T through #4! Looks like a great one.
    WF133 T, BBB,BB,1,2,3,4 12 3.50 Federal 1 3/8 601.0 Steel 1550 Speed Shok Federal
    =============
    We don't really have snows here in AZ. I actually saw a single one last month, sitting with about 400 ducks on a field runoff pond, but too close to houses to be huntable. Only one I've ever seen here outside of park or golf course ponds. Sure wish we had more geese of any sort here, I almost never see them.

goosenazi likes this.
  5. Sasktrapper

Sasktrapper New Member

I tried the score as well but they don't pattern well in my gun. So I stick to challengers

6. sno

sno Refuge Member

Factory modified Federal red box #2 for first two and #1 for shots 3 & 4

7. dog walker

dog walker Senior Refuge Member

A few years back I got a case of federal red box 3.5” 1’s, through my extrema with a briley IM they were lights out on snows. The only issue was I don’t like the recoil from 3.5” on high volume days. As a matter of fact that was the last 3.5” shells I ever bought but damn that was a good combo.

What I use now with the same gun and choke is rsi 74 in bb or b, rsi 75 in b and 1’s and a 1 1/16 oz load with 2 3/4” cheddite/32 gr steel/lbc B shot. The last load is a little shy of true 1 1/16 oz but it’s very easy to shoot and effective. I loaded them for my buddies older uncle and used them myself on a hunt to test them and was pleasantly surprised at their effectiveness.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You have got that right dog walker , with plenty of speed and choked for distance those 1 1/16 oz loads only require your ability
    to shoot straight for success . The interesing part of shooting this load is (for me) , I can usually have 2 birds folded-up in the time
    it takes 12 ga / 3 1/2" shooters time to recover from the first shot , not saying , I'm in a hurry either ! The real advantage is , the
    report of these little loads doesn't push a fella off his intended second target or , IF , a bird is in a bad angle to turn on allowing you
    to make the shot without bringing tears to your eyes in pain . As far as distance of killing power , those B's or 1's will do their job
    "percentage wise" of successful hits as any other load out to 50 yds !

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Way to much shell for snow geese.

10. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I use fed blue box 3" 1.25oz in 2s for ducks and bbs for canadas. For snows, I use what I have and load one or two of the 2s first depending on how they're working, and fill the rest of the tube with bbs. Both do just fine if I do my part.

I use a trulock extended mod which throws both of these loads in full choke patterns from my rem v3.