Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow goose look out

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by fboutdoors, Jan 3, 2019.

1. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Are the snow geese still in northern and central Ill not looking to hunt them or move in to hunt them more worried about them not pushing all the way thru before February starts here in southern Ill. With the spring weather Dm if you dont want to post completely understand that.

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Hard to tell how many are here since they are spread out. But it is a lot and they have been here for some time and are arriving daily now. 3 days of 50 and sun coming up with a south wind. We should really get a bunch of them. I think we are about 2 months off weather wise. This is lat Feb/March weather.

Jon C likes this.
  3. ixkaped2

ixkaped2 Senior Refuge Member

Not seeing too many here yet

4. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

With the weather what it is I'm worried about them heading back north some and never making it far enough south to have more than a 2 week conservation season which would be one more week than ducks season was

Jon C likes this.
  5. twelvegauge

twelvegauge Senior Refuge Member

Snow geese are not in their normal Arkansas spots. I'm guessing the season, like ducks to be a bust.

6. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

I'm in the center of the state 1/2 way between Carlyle and Springfield were having days when they r everywhere day later none. its weird weve seen no juvies or young. these birds can tell dekes esp. with frost. get to 70 yd. and bye bye had 4 groups go over at 60yds this am but I waited didn't what to cripple and chase [dog guy slept in] at 75 in that mud. we only have a 1/4 of our snows out. lots of specks DECOYS 200+ and were seeing ZERO. 50 DARKS AND THEYRE USELESS ALSO. WHERE R THE BIRDS. the farmer is tiling or regular field[ hard path to the decoys] new field is MUDDY HARD ON US OLD GUYS AND NO POND. BUT had 20+ gr0ups fly right over me today. wonder if the flyright mach's would help with these adult birds?

7. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

We need some snow.That's the only thing that will slow them down.
    I'm seeing some up here heading north real high.Lot's of specks to.

Danny

8. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Bad hatch and they are spread from the gulf coast to northern Missouri at least. What was so easy last year will be tough this year. Hope to pick up some cheap slightly used dekes in the off season.

9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Had a flock of snow's go over the house a moment ago, headed north.
    I seen a few robin's at the in-laws house (just north of Decatur ) over Christmas ( I hate those birds and the chirping they make ) and had a honey bee in the garage today. This IS January........right ?

10. Miker17

Miker17 New Member

Saw lots of snows around union county today. All heading north