Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Goose Outfitter Midwest

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by btsmith, Feb 8, 2017.

1. btsmith

btsmith Refuge Member

So my dad and I want to try and head to the mid-west to hunt snow geese. We want to hunt the 8-9th of March. I've talked with a couple outfitters in Kansas but I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions on outfitter or even if we should look into a different area to hunt. We would be flying from Utah. Those dates could possibly be changed but they are our best chance of making it work.

2. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

Gooseneck outfitters in Nebraska they hunt out of a heated pit blind with about 1500 FB and floaters check them out on Facebook

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Northrup "Up North Outdoors" in Nebraska or Toye "Big River Guide Service" in NW Missouri. Those would be a couple of the best and most reputable outfitters around (and have been around for some time). I would suggest if you are coming that far to make the trip a minimum of 3 days. I have always said you should get 1 really good hunt out of 3. It is possible to have 3 spectacular hunts but realistically 30-50% of the time you will have a really good hunt. Give yourself a chance to have one of those by booking at least 3 days.

My two cents.

Good luck

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

What are your expectations, hunting an X, running traffic, shooting a certain number of birds per day(which is impossible to predict)? What are you looking for in a hunt? Laying in a field, over water, pit blind, not hunting with other clients, meals, lodging, etc? Are you looking for true decoying birds or shooting birds as soon as they are killable so you can pull the trigger a bunch? That's usually prime time for NW Missouri or Nebraska. Might be a little iffy for Kansas depending on recent weather in the area and how far south in Kansas you were looking.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

For those dates you have picked out the best state to plan on hunting in would be Missouri or Nebraska. It may be tough booking a hunt with any reputable guide service this close to those dates. Eaglehead Outdoors, Habitat Flats, and Up North would all be good choices.

6. hannibal

One thing to add to NEGooseman's great questions about what are you looking for and that is how deep are your pockets or how much are you willing to pay for it? I have seen guide services that charge up to $500 per day. I think you can find a very reputable one for $200/day and often times get a little break if book at least 3 days. Having hunted these SOBS for some time I would not want to hunt in a party of more than 6 (which includes the guide).

Good luck with your search. Better hurry up and book something soon if you plan to go with a more reputable outfitter. I'm guessing those dates are already gone but you can always ask.

7. btsmith

btsmith Refuge Member

We would really like to be able to harvest birds and possibly a blue goose. I would love to be able to see large amounts of geese, even if we don't get to shoot at the large numbers. Would prefer a pit but not opposed to layouts. I'm ok with hunting with other clients since there is only two of us and it is pretty close to the dates we want to hunt. I'm not too picky, we just want an "adventure" and to be able to hunt something different than we get to hunt here in Utah. Don't care about lodging and food, we are going to hunt not relax. We also aren't set on Kansas. Willing to go wherever our best chance of seeing birds is.

We have a budget of what we'd like to spend. Not quite Habitat Flats money. I think they are like $600 or more per day, lodging included.

Thanks for the replys guys. This is helpful info. It is much appreciated.

8. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

One other thing to consider is license costs. Varies greatly from state to state.

9. hannibal

In Missouri it is $40 for Conservation Order tag. Don't need any other tags, stamps etc.

I think Missouri/Nebraska would be good choices. If you can find a reputable outfitter that follows the migration that might be ideal. The way the weather is going there could be very good/big numbers in SD by 3/8-3/9. I know there are some good ones that move. I think Ben Fujan (Habitat Flats guide) actually moves up to SD at some point but not sure if he remains affiliated with Habitat Flats at that point or not............for some reason I don't think he does but not sure. I would think he would be a good one to hunt with in SD if I'm right that he moves up to SD with the migration?

Good luck.

jzoo likes this.
  10. jumpmaster23

jumpmaster23 Senior Refuge Member

Look up Blackgoose outfitters. They hunt SE NE out of a pit over a fullbody and floater spread.