Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Goose Outfitter Midwest

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by btsmith, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

Ben Fujan would a good choice if he has room. Should be able to contact him through fb. If not pm me for contact info

2. hyper23

hyper23 Senior Refuge Member

What about Rick Hamm, THE SNOW FOX, in Illinois???

3. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Or Gander Hill in Illinois. Ganderhill.net heated pit's larg3 spreads

4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, but unless this weather pattern changes significantly there is NO WAY I would consider Illinois on 3/8-3/9. In a normal weather year I would not even consider Illinois on those dates. Traditionally that is close to peak for NW Missouri with good opportunities for Juvies. Stick to NW Missouri/Nebraska or maybe SD.

Good luck

5. wyfarrell

wyfarrell Senior Refuge Member

6. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

On a normal year those would be very good dates for east central Illinois.

7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

To shoot numbers of birds during those dates NW Missouri or Nebraska would be the place to be. Based on the current migration, and unless a massive snow storm hits, South Dakota will be holding the most birds but they'll all be adults.

If you go to South Dakota during that time realistically expect shooting 3-25 birds a day. The leading edge birds are tough, and having a 15-20 bird day on all adults is good. There can be times when you have a great adult shoot but the conditions have to be perfect and it's extremely rare.

I'll be out in South Dakota every weekend in March hunting with a guide service that I used to work for. With all the resentment on here about guide services I wont name them directly. I don't know if they'll have openings that weekend but you could always shoot me a PM. Also, shooting a nice adult Blue is a good possibility. I don't know why but it seems like the blues just aren't quite as smart as the white birds.

8. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Agreed. We shot 3 blues last weekend in NW Missouri with no e-caller. Just good old fashioned World Snow Goose Championship caliber calling and decoy configuration (is there a World Championship for decoy configuration??? If not, there should be because I think we would probably win that!!!) :)

I would not want to do more than 8 (including guide) especially if you don't know the other party/people. I have a couple of weeks where we have up to 8 but generally 4-6 is the norm...........these are buddies I have hunted with for years though so know the party I'm hunting with.

We, of course, don't know who shot what most of the time so we would draw for a band. If you want the 2-3 bird at a time, 100 bird shoot likely going to have to make a trek to Canada for that. Big shoots around our neck of the woods generally include a couple of pretty good rain outs.

Good luck in your search. If you are looking at NW Missouri PM me and I will give you a couple of suggestions.

9. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Yea I don't understand why...it just seems like they're easier to shoot even though Blues are just a different color phase. Once upon a time the white birds mainly wintered in Texas and the Blue birds mainly wintered in Louisiana. So even though they're the same species, there's something different about them.

10. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Every fall we shoot a couple handfuls of blues that think they are canadas. They are always the first to bomb in and land in the decoys, the canadas always follow. For every 10 times it happens with a blue, it happens once with a snow...dont know why