Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

snow goose outfitters and # of guns per blind?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

is it the norm for the spring snow goose guides to cram 7, 8 , 9 or more clients into a goose pit or on a field...( not including the guides!!) seems like there is no possible way to know who shot which bird.....is it that most of them don't care...just shoot shoot shoot shoot and try to get the whole group to drop as many as possible...... I am wanting to go to extend my season...but am leery of shooting in a situation like that , where no one knows of cares who shot what........what happens when a banded bird falls??????????

bob

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

It is the norm. Every gun is another $150-$500. I think most limit it to about 6 but usually upfront it's said if you have a small party, you'll be mixed in with others.

3. Foust

Foust Refuge Member

Don't worry. The guide will be shooting and retrieving and taking care of all bands. If your lucky he will bring a couple of distant relatives to help you shoot.

GK1 and wyfarrell like this.
  4. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I have hunting with a guide last year and hunting with a different one this year. But i expect the group to be 7-9 people. I think its fun to see the snows fall. And if you get a band and guide don't hide it. You draw for the bands.

5. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Yep. I think to get a private party most guides require 6 guys, or you to pay for 6 guides at least.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

If the guide kept the band, I'd just figure it was his tip. Unless shooting into large flocks(with his client's OK) or shooting cripples, the guide should never shoulder his gun IMO.

7. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

who would want a band they aren't sure they shot?????????????? I shot a lot of bands, and I want all that I shoot, but I DONT want a band someone else shot, or a gifted band!....... as well...I understand, the... who cares mentality, that they want the birds dead....but I d want to shoot a bird then move onto the next and shoot...
    I wouldn't like it , planning a snow goose hunt because it is supposed to have a lot of action and end up with 7 birds for 8 guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! at $300 a day....plus hotel, plus travel.

I saw a video up in Canada on one of the TV shows and they ( maybe 3 guys) picked away 2's and 3's all day long till they shot 100 snow geese.......

I know its a crap shoot...... I found a guide who wants $400/day for a spot in a 3 person pit..... maybe as expensive as that sounds...its the way to go

8. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Go hunt with Tony Toye and you for sure will never see a band on any birds.

9. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

When the shot is called at 25yds and you HAVE to get all 10 rounds off before they get to 60, you have no idea what you shot anyway:l

Scout_mn and ArmChair Biologist like this.
  10. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

Book the whole hunt-problem solved.

eel river and Bob Johnson like this.