Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

snow goose outfitters and # of guns per blind?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 9, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I did some part time guiding in texas for several years 20-25 years ago ( pre conservation order). I also guided in Central IL a handful of times a year in central IL. I can tell you first hand that guiding is way harder than most of the non guiding people realize. And to be an good outfitter, and do it right is very expensive, So even guys that charge $600-$800 a gun aren't getting rich doing it.

The outfitter that I worked for in texas leased 50,000 acres in 3 counties. 20 years ago, most of that ground leased for $2 an acre. Add fuel costs to that for flood roosts. Add fuel cost of driving 100-200 miles a day scouting fields. Add Insurance. Add decoys, 4 wheels, and blinds, and storage for all of that gear. Then find someone stupid enough to want to take complete strangers out with loaded weapons for minimal guide fee ( say $200 a day), plus tip......... keep in mind a majority of the clientele won't have any idea how to load their new benellis, or opera the safety(s) . ........If hunting from a steel pit, the risk factor goes up exponentially (add another $50 for hazardous duty). Usually folks will want to hunt over as many decoys as possible, but most won't want to assist in setting, or picking up decoys,...So add another couple of hundred bucks for a couple of guys to set decoys at o'dark thirty before work to set out a spread. ( or , often, these guys will be guide assistants, and hunt along with said group)......Which really isn't a bad thing. Most clients will want shooters to assist them with killing a hefty pile of geese for their big day's end photo op........... Trust me, on this one, when I guided, I carried a loaded gun, and always allowed all of my clients to empty their guns first, but they always wanted me shooting....er killing geese for their photos. Of course when the hunt was over, they'd want nothing to do with any the birds........ Most declaring "that Snowgeese aren't fit to eat" ........( proof that they probably never tried eating them).

2. bullpinnie

& BTW, the going rate back then was $100-$150 /gun.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Completely agree with you bullpinnie. All the groups I take out wanted me pulling the trigger, and it was a full time job just cleaning up cripples because everyone would shoot the geese in the ***. There were plenty of times where I was out with a full group of guys and shot over half the birds alone...because they just plain couldn't hit anything. Besides clients don't know when you shoot them as long as there's more then a pair. The guide shooting can be the difference between a 5 bird day and a 15 bird day. You make more in tips if you shoot more birds so you're shooting yourself in the foot not shooting. Allot of guys complaining on here would be shooting after a couple days if they started guiding. Especially if shooting makes you a couple hundred bucks more in tips a week.

Jzoo your story about the other guys you hunted with is extremely common. The reason why guides shoot less is because inexperienced hunters 1. Cant hit anything 2. Don't listen. I've had clients who refuse to put their heads in the blind, wear red, don't want to help move decoys when it's necessary, want to hunt near the kill hole instead of the downwind side of the spread when the wind is 30mph plus. The list goes on and on. If you guide you will consistently shoot half as many birds as you would with your buddies. There's many days when I've shot 4-5 geese that could have easily been 15-20 bird days but clients just wouldn't listen or hide themselves. It's amazing how good the birds work when you go out hunting with a couple buddies after you've been guiding for a month with clients.

It's extremely frustrating as a guide to have a group of mad clients that don't tip you because THEY screwed up their own hunt. It's even worse when you have a mixed group and half of the clients are awesome but a couple clients are ding-a-lings and screw up the hunt for everyone.

Juvie Juke Box and Wareagle1 like this.
  4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

You know none of these guys who hire you are really hunters. Just take a photo of 200 dead geese and photo shop you clients into the picture. Then pay a couple gals to take care of them at the local bar for the weekend. They will tip you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    shirtguy likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

I never said that. But the majority of them weren't "hardcore" either....... a few were. Most of the guys that weren't were still good guys, and were repeat clients year after year.

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I never claimed you said that, but you know they aren't.

7. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

What difference does that make? They are still paying to have a good time and hopefully kill some geese. Most of them are just happy to get away from work, wives, children, etc. So they aren't big hunters, they still want to shoot a few shells and feel like they got there money's worth. To be honest they are much easier to please than the young, die hard duck hunters that aren't going to be happy without a hundred birder.

mrsteve, bullpinnie and Wareagle1 like this.
  8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

And that's why I could never be a guide. I'm too much of an prick to hunt with people like that. Hide your face/wear a mask, don't move your head and watch the birds, keep your dog still or put it up, etc., etc., etc. The list never ends with day hunters.

A friend brought out a buddy once last year who slept 99% of the hunt (it was a slow day) and was just happy to get away from the wife and kids.

9. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

a true hunter wants to shoot his owns birds...not get in a picture of other peoples birds... those guys are just hacks and wanna be's..........I am sorry MOST clients suck.... but id be hard pressed to find a guide that could outshoot me, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in competition with a guy I am paying!!!!!!!! I am confused why an unsafe, inconsiderate, slob client makes it ok and or NECCSSARY for the guide to kill all or most of the birds. Now I could care less about the legality of it....but we have all heard of stories where the game warden watches from afar and count who shot what and then comes and questions each hunter.....I cant imagine a guide would wade into that situation...well a decent guide anyway.... I remember thinking our seaduck guide was sluicing a lot of the other clients birds...which legally makes him the guy who killed the bird... I thought he could get in trouble....but from what I know he never did....and it makes sense he shouldn't ........I know that hunting is dynamic, but guides are people too and some suck...and some are ********, and some are unsafe...its just the nature of #'s......even if the clients are 10 x's worse on average. I went with a guide once , with other hunters I didn't know.. we got the "start of the hunt speech" included safety stuff and when the shot is called and that on a cripple "if the birds head is up shoot again and skeep shooting until it is down". well some duck came and the boat opened up and three ducks dropped, I know I was on two of them but everyone could have been on those same ducks it was only 30 yards and the bird fell in the decoys!!! and no one looked like they were going to sluice that one with the head up....it was a bright lively crip... the 2 guys next to me were clients I told them , "if youll step back ill sluice that bird" I said it loud, they both stepped back and I stuck my barrel out and shot the crip.... scared the crap out of the two guides on the other end of the boat..(3.5" black cloud)....guy went off on a bender about his hearing being shot..... I saw the expression on the one guides face that he didn't expect it... but the shot was OUT to the decoys!!! and PER INSTRUCTIONS OF THE GUIDE.... and clearly safe.... no one talked for 15 minutes....because of the rant.... guides come in all shapes and sizes....just like clients...cant win for losing...

10. Foust

Foust Refuge Member

I personally wouldn't **** on a guide if he was on fire.