Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Snow goose setup

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by drakecoot, Sep 8, 2016.

1. drakecoot

drakecoot New Member

good even gents,

First time heading to sask in mid-October. Inaddition, we will be targeting snow geese for the first time. We are also bringing a full setup for dark geese and ducks and hopefully will be able to get in some multi speci hunts.

Our setup for snows is 500 headless white rocks, 6 Whiterock flyers and an e-caller. Will this setup work for killing snows? Does anyone have some newbie tips on decoy setups? What else if anything should we add besides just more numbers?

What about multi speci setups? Do Canada's/lessors mix with snows in Sask? Should we mix our fullbody Canada's with snows?

Any advice would be awesome. I know it is gonna take some time to get a hang of hunting snows in Canada, but ya gotta start somewhere.

2. PSchmidt

PSchmidt Refuge Member

I would set up the dark away from the snows. In my experience they don't mix much. If you're hunting an area with specks, then you can mix them somewhat, but Canada geese stick to themselves.

Pete

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

You can mix the darks with the whites but in Sask a lot of the darks you will see will be lessers and in my experience lessers dont like white spreads.

If you do get on a field that has a big mix of darks, ducks and whites, concentrate on the darks and maybe add small groups of whites mixed around the spread.

Also, the last 5 years up in Sask have had little wind for us, consider that when setting up in the AM. We rarely use our Sillosocks in Sask, if there is little to no breeze they dont come out

4. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

First, have fun, enjoy the scenery, the people & the beer. Nothing quite like it. Your snow goose setup will work fine. Put a couple flyers on fishing poles for those windless days. The juvies with egg shells still attached will flat out attack you. Dress in whites & take plenty of shells. If I had a mixed field, I would seperate the dark decoys by at least 25+ yds. Hunt on the edge of the light decoys & you should do fine.

5. Big Burt

Big Burt Refuge Member

I have learned that the big Canadas will not fly over snow decoys. The Lessers will land short at the from of your spread and may walk in to your snow spread. We mix 2 dozen at the from of the spread in front of the blinds. I do not think you need many duck decoys ,as they will mix with anything. We set up two robo ducks and do quite well with ducks if they are in the area. Use three rotaries and 12 kites.
    Big burt

6. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

I kill lots of specs and lessers in my snow spreads but have never killed a greater in one. Mix spec dekes in small groups and ribbons throughout the snows and put your canadas in a group near the snows for the lessers. Or put the canadas and specs together on the edge of the snows. Specs go both ways. :D

7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

you will kill plenty with your snow spread. rock piles are your friend.

8. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Our go to move with dark geese is putting the dark decoys at the head of the spread in 3 small groups. We place them about 25-30 yards from the white decoys that way if the dark geese want to decoy they can slide in between the two groups of decoys. Works for us. Good luck!