Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose spreads and questions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Hunter_r925, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Hunter_r925

Hunter_r925 Refuge Member

Hey ooo have a few questions for y’all im just starting to get into snow goose I’ve been hunting ducks and Canada’s for a long time now!!! My spread right now consists of white rocks sky flys and Dakota windsocks I have about 10 dozen total what is a good starting out number to have also what kind of motion will I need flyers etc... tia

2. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

It depends a lot on the birds you are hunting, but 300 is a good number starting out. Just don't fail to get out there even if you have only 10 dozen for now! You may not get consistent results (if there is such a thing with snows) but you can kill snows with very few decoys at times you may not even expect it. Small spreads may work best if you are hunting birds already using the area, or on or near the X, but you can pull migrators with a smaller spread as well. 300 just lacks the visibility to pull them from far away. I used only 400 for all of one spring south of Squaw creek and pulled plenty of migrators. However it was on a pond spread and I think the right water can enhance the draw for snows.

I wouldn't worry about flyers and gadgets to start out with. Watch enough small flocks of 500 -1,000 snows in a field feeding from a little distance and you will typically see very little movement. Especially birds jumping over one another. The socks themselves will provide the movement you need.

explorer17 likes this.
  3. Hunter_r925

Hunter_r925 Refuge Member

Thanks so much for the info greatly appreciated!!!!