Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose spreads

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by woodduck75, Jan 12, 2017.

1. woodduck75

woodduck75 Refuge Member

OK guys always trying to learn more and get everyone's opinion I had a decent 2016 on snows. Started to incorporate full bodies into my spread bought 100 this year the realism works won't let anyone tell me different don't care about the extra work it takes if your not willing to do that you shouldn't be hunting snows. I will be hunting over 200 fullbody this year and 1000 socks mostly Whitrock and Slammers all with heads. My question is what is everyone favorite spread. This thought keeps me up at night a lot of times I want to be a snow goose elite and each year I'm getting better. I'm learning a lot every year and seen lots of different spreads but one I'm curious about is the big feeding blob. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IMO, "I'm no snow goose elite" but the blob looking spread is for a permanent spread and you adjust your hide for the wind. Or maybe for no wind days. For me, I'd rather set my spread for the wind.

3. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

We had a good season this year. High point was my dogs first year and watching her pick up 3-5 man limits in 1 hour hunts. But any knowledge i have is of no value to you as we hunt with socks and are unwilling to put out shells much less full bodies......................

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I run two long lines downwind, 80 to 120 yds for each arm. Blob around the blinds, with small landing area in front, bigger landing area behind, with fliers behind . Two to four speakers in front. I hunt mainly in the fall, but learned the technique from spring hunters. Lots of tight decoys around the blinds. Birds want to land close to front of feeding line. Most of our shots are in the 20 yd range. Works well. Don't be afraid of running the decoys downwind a long way. They won't land there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

We run a permanent spread at our water hole but whether it is there or on a hilltop I like to run a long, long line down wind (the line is closed from the far point to the kill hole……….starts skinny at furthest downwind point and bulk as you get to kill hole leaving no holes in that line until you reach the kill hole). Put least realistic decoys furthest down wind and then load up around the kill hole with all of your headed socks, full bodies, shells etc. We run two e-callers with one at the downwind portion of the spread and we let it run all the time but not as loud. We then run another right in and around the kill hole where we run rotaries and fliers……….this one we do not run non-stop but crank it up when we have birds approaching or overtop. We have learned there is really no reason to leave that thing blaring around us all day long as it can where you out. We adjust and turn it up or down depending on what the birds are doing. If it is really ON we will leave both running but most of the time that is not necessary and eliminates most of that ringing in the ears normally associated with sitting in a field all day long with ecallers blaring in your ears. We also put blobs of decoys around the pit and some of our taller sentry headed decoys to provide good cover. Generally when there is wind they have no clue what hit them and we often times will kill birds 20-40 yards………just depends on where we are at in the migration. Early adults 40 and later we will let the Juvies work as they will land right on top of you on those good days!!!! I agree with running downwind a long way. i learned that many, many years ago from a guy that would literally run a string the entire length of a section and finish with a big blob around the blinds. I thought he was nuts. Occasionally you will get a few birds that will dump in on the downwind portion of your spread but they almost always jump ahead at some point if you remain patient.

Good luck. Good to see the Snow Goose talk beginning to ramp up!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    jthomp01 likes this.