Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snows Over Water

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by juviesoup, Jan 10, 2017.

1. FowlTrouble

FowlTrouble Senior Refuge Member

Theres nothing like hunting snows over water. You guys have some great spreads. Love the pics

2. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

Greentops, do you have luck getting flocks trying to land in the open circle in the middle of your floaters. Or do flocks tend to want to hit the outer edge of the spread?

3. lowandslow

lowandslow New Member

I always ran mine in a tight group behind the pit blind, hardly anything ever landed in them or near them. shot most birds over the dry field in front.
    last couple years I've spread them out all over the pond.
    mostly close to shore, some not even close to shooting range. just small groups of 3-10.
    they look relaxed and like there investigating and just cruising around this nice safe place. like they've been there a while.
    what a difference! they love the water now, and we love watching them splash and the dog diving for the cripples.
    bunched up tight geese on a pond look scared and as if they just got to the party. try it!

4. Anderson

Anderson New Member

That is an impressive spread!!! How was the shooting? You all up north? I'm still hunting in Missouri and we don't have many birds left.

5. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

After changing a few things with how we ran out land decoys almost all the birds we kill finish over the hole and focus on it when decoying. We added another 250 floaters this weekend in front of the blind and to the left of it and that seemed to help. We've got about 850 floaters and 1700 socks and fullbodies. Hunting them over the water is way more work but the birds that work you and finish finish all the way to the hole. I've hunted over large field spreads and large water spreads the biggest difference not being how many birds you "start" to work but the fact when they work you over a water set they finish at a higher percentage compared to the fields.

6. Anderson

Anderson New Member

Wow. That would be a spread I'd like to hunt!!! It sounds like you all are figuring out the water hunting. Do most of the birds finish to the floaters? Do you run motion like vortexs?

7. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

Ya almost every bird we killed this weekend around 175 were killed over the floaters. I honestly can't remember a bird we didn't kill over the water but there may have been some. After studying geese on the water with drones, videos and just watching live geese we've decided not to use any crazy motion decoys. The birds (in our findings) move a lot differently once there on the water then on land. At most we will put some silosock flyers around the inside edges of the hole but just above the water. The flyers seem to help when we get migrators coming through. We've tried it all....vortexes, clones, real wings, etc etc and it didn't really seem to add much minus being more work. The birds actually finish a lot better without the motion. Now this is only our experiences and by no means are we seasoned pros or been doing this as long as some. Just trial and error.

8. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Nice rigs guys. Good thread.

9. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

i run 80dz floaters, 15dz fbs and 200dz ss. migrators almost always finish over the water. that can be manipulated by speaker placement though. sound carries much differently over water. to the point that finishing volume needs to be about half of what it is in a field set.

10. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

That's interesting. We run a water spread but basically just place them in a big solid spaced out flock that's more or less a big rectangle with the edges being about 35-40 yds from the blind. We have good success with what we do. The small flocks don't mind finishing in the middle of the spread but the really big flocks always want to try to finish around past the outer edges. So wind direction makes a big difference on how well they come in right over the spread for optimal shots. Maybe opening up more of a hole like you do might make the large flocks more comfortable and help get them into a little better shooting zone. To open up the middle of the spread more and keep the number of decoys the same we'd have to string some decoys on out of shooting range and that's been our concern with doing something like that.