So many Mondo choices

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Jul 29, 2018.

1. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

And yes, I already know about this video

2. S4V46E

S4V46E Senior Refuge Member

I agree it's frustrating not being able to blow each call without a storefront anywhere near me that has them all. Those videos and sound clips are nice to help with a decision but everyone blows a call differently. What may be easy to run for someone may not be true for someone else. Everyone I hunt with sounds great but if we all traded each other's calls I couldn't say the same. Again, the frustration for me is finding what works without running a few before dropping money on one.

3. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Might be worth a call to the shop to see if they would sell the other 2 inserts if you would purchase one of the full models direct from them? Not that they're in the business of selling half calls and call parts, but for a company as large as they are in this business, I've always been treated very well. In the event they say no, I would think Jim would be able to give you the best description of them and could help you decide on which one is most suited to your prefences.

4. fluffcommander

fluffcommander New Member

I don’t care for a sound file. Some dude blowing one particular call in their living room through an iPhone microphone is a very one dimensional interpretation to make a definitive conclusion about if I will like the random similar call I will get in the mail or not. Everyone calls and sounds different, every call sounds & feels different, that’s what’s great about the Duck call.

Paul Tidwell likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Have no idea why makers don't have soundfiles of all calls, but I wouldn't use Jimbo as the model for all. I've blown several of his personal calls over the years, and I doubt more than one in a hundred really good calllers can really blow them well. That means you can't sound like him on a call tuned for you.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Never had one he'd tuned that I didn't end up trimming, but I'd still think the Mondo model differences he pointed our or demonstrated in the posted video good references to the differences between them. And showing such tendencies is about all any sound file can do, as it's unlikely any of us will sound just like any next guy on any individual call without somehow compensating for the differences in our usual air presentations, much less tone preferences.

Soundfiles are better than no soundfiles, but that's too often about it.

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

^^^This! I went to the shop one Spring day (a buddy had to pick up his ATV) and had Jimbo retune my MVP, he made it sound soooooo good! Then I tried it I thought I was going to pass out! That Dude must have lungs like an air compressor :eek:, we ended shorten the reed a bit! :tu

8. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Guys, thanks for all the advice and opinions. I wanted to give you all a quick update. In my research, I found a place called upperduck.com There were several different sound files on their site for the different Mondo choices. I ended up ordering an LT from them and was really happy with the service and quick delivery. I'm very happy with the call and looking forward to putting it to good use this fall.

Thanks again for all the replies

GrNhEaDhUnTeR85 likes this.
  9. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

I own a Mondo and am trying to get the hang of it, while I agree it takes a little more air I don't think it takes a tremendous amount of air like many make it seem. It just takes a different air presentation technique in my opinion.

10. illinoisriverlabs

illinoisriverlabs Refuge Member

I guess I'm behind on replying but since I've hunted a mondo since their release, i felt that i might as well add my two cents. The regular mondo can do anything you can want if you have a decent set of lungs. Not that it takes a bunch of air, you just need to learn how to "pop" a cutdown to run it effectively. The lt sounds great to my ears, but has always been sticky for me. Doesn't clean up on top like the regular does for me. LA is more like the regular but has a bit more whine built in. To me, I find myself hunting all three depending on my location. Trees-Regular. Marsh-LA. Field-Lt.
    Personally, i have both regular length and shorts in each cut. I prefer the regular on every call. The LTS is the best sounding short mondo.

11. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Just got a Mondo LA in coco yesterday and really like it. Seems to have a better bottom than the mondo and the LT. The bark is just like the others but seems like I can finesse and feed with it better than the rest. I have the mondo, LT, and LA. LA is my favorite, then Mondo, then the LT. The short/long thing seems like a gimmick to me. Mine are all long.