So what do you think about your goose decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 18, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I grabbed a dz fb foots last season to add numbers and wanted to get more because of price point. Problem is all the heads had to be screwed on and side by side with my avians they really look bad. I know a lot of guys swear by em but....

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

But in 25 years you'll still be hunting over the Bigfoots.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Don't get me wrong,Bigfoot WERE awesome,and sure if I had a bunch I would still hunt em,but times change and just like G&H duck decoys,they need to modernize.To many nice affordable decoys out there. No disrespect.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I owned a bunch of the originalG and H and Foots ,.. the best decoy of their time in the70's 80's and 90's.
    Bigfoots foreign manufacturing version doesn't cut it. And why didnt Bigfoot make a bit more life like look , just a bit

5. salthunter

Always a choice.
    But I thing most rabid goose hunters will sell them off and buy something that looks more like a goose instead of a big flattened football!
    Yes foots will still kill geese. Yep they can take the abuse, and will last. I still own BF floaters and super mag shells,.. but each get limited hunts. And lets face it the super mag shells are way over=priced.

6. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I still hunt with Bigfoots. Have been for 32 years. I have too many to swap out now. If they didn't follow the business plan, they are still very successful. There have been more BF's sold than all other brands combined. I know they work well on the these dumb South Dakota geese, but I bet they still kill geese all over the USA. The geese still like them. Some people may not like them. I for one love them. I paid good money for them when I bought them, and they still look as good as the day I got them. Throw them in the trailer, push them out the next day. My first BF's were bought in '85. still got'em, still use them. A lot of you weren't even born then. I used to hunt 80 plus days every year. Now I don't go as much. But my decoys are always ready to go.

2WIDGN, ArmChair Biologist and SB2MAG like this.
  7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Bigfoot decoys are the best. They work. My two dozen full bodies are 22 years old. My Bigfoot shells are six years old. I won’t buy any other full body or shell. I take the heads and legs off every hunt. I won’t drive in a field so I don’t need a trailer full of crappy Dave Smith Decoys, GHG or Avian X decoys.

Last week. FECFFD23-5C94-48DC-8992-EA931F0541D5.jpeg

One shot two geese. Because the geese were landing next to this spread of twelve ancient Bigfoot Decoys with pellet holes in them.
    D4713870-68BE-48BE-A03A-2C6144A1D665.jpeg

Even the dog likes them.

F09A3C42-73AE-4FFE-B6F5-56AF94E42D51.jpeg

Easy to haul a dozen decoys back to the truck.

Today. Bigfoot floaters.:tu

B4269756-86CF-4809-9532-76C52F6D71AB.jpeg

D35EF437-05D4-4136-8AA5-46A8338CB3D0.jpeg

Feet down saw the band.

If it’s not Bigfoot, it’s crap.

Dive bomb silos or home made B&W are good too.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I thought Big Foot FBs were the berries in their time, but our specks were appreciably more apt to shy from the speck version than the old G&H shells I tried replacing them with. They were, however, hell for stout and made good pool toys for the grandsons. If there's been a more durable decoy than at least those early BF's, I've missed them. But for our purposes here, almost anything seems better than the big manikins for finishing specks.

I now own GHG, Dakota, 1st and 2nd generation Hardcore, first and second generation DSDs and first generation Deceptions and currently favor the later. Though I'm anxious to see how the HCs will do if I ever get a re-paint scheme right...

9. salthunter

Rick
    Ive never seen the Deceptions in hand or in the field What advantages do you see with them

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Since I don't think the generation I have is still available, I'm not at all sure my observations would be meaningful, but here are some comparison pics with second generation DSDs (and, yes, Captain Obviouses of the world, we all know the DSDs shown have had more use):
    P1000287.jpg P1000292.jpg

And the four postures than available:
    P1000306.jpg

I found them more realistic than their competition and also favor them over the current Deceptions. Mine have held up well, albeit double bagged with Glad Flex bags and in a slotted canvas bag. Their main "con" is being heavier than DSDs, but that's really a non issue since I usually only use two to five of them.