So what do you think about your goose decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 18, 2017.

1. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Dsd are the best, but BF's aren't bad. They don't shine as bad as a lot of others. Also their one tough sob.

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I know it's already been stated but...bigfoots are the industry standard in durability. It's really an amazing product that stands up to any abuse you can put it through. For overall ease and value you just can't beat them. I hunt over some big foots that a guide service has owned for thirty years and they're still going strong. Throw em in the trailer and throw em out...that's the best part.

I've also shot plenty of snows over BF snow fullbodys. I've never seen BF speck decoys. I've hunted enough areas around this country to know that birds act differently in different areas, but man Rick...those specks down by you must have a PhD. My good friend is going down to Arkansas to guide for snows early this year because he has multiple groups of guys that want him to take them speck hunting. He's going to throw out speck silos and some speck/snow socks. We'll see how he does, but I have a feeling he's going to do pretty well.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Should work, there's still a whooole lot less pressure on them up there, and a decent white spread will draw a lot of birds and "baffle more of them with its BS". But he'd be hurting their chances with nothing but crappy sillie, sock or BF speck imitations out.

And believe me when I say that after spending the then princely sum of $36 per on first run BF specks (which were not produced again for some years) I really, really wanted that investment to pay off and ran them longer than I should have. And every other good speck hunter I know who tried them or repainted Canada BFs has suffered similar fate.

4. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Many years ago we sold our Bigfoot full body honkers and bought Avery's. Tired of broken foot bases and motion stakes, we sold them off and bought Bigfoot Canada full bodies again. They definitely have their place. We also invested in a couple dozen fully flocked avian x full body honkers for hunting high pressured geese, not sure that I'm sold on that deal. Don't like the bagging thing. For sleeper shells we've been using big foot sleeper shells, the first generation smaller Decoys. We sold them recently and bought avian x painted sleeper shells. They are loaded in a sled waiting for ice. They sure look good. Necessary, probably not. We killed plenty of geese over the Bigfoot shells. We own 20 of the original Bigfoot specks, specks don't finish well to them but the Canada's don't seem to mind them when they are mixed in our Bigfoot Canada spread. We have four dozen of the one piece GHG speck Decoys, along with a few snows, same body style. Specks finish to them a lot better. I guess we have different spreads for different situations. One thing I do know...we won't ever sell our Bigfoot full body Canada's ever again. When the geese get educated, it's harder to get them to finish but we can throw ten dozen in the pit, day in and day out and they still look exactly the same as they did the day we bought them, no broken heads or foot bases.

5. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

I live and hunt in Canada and only hunt over Bigfoots - snows, specks and Canada's. It's Canada so they work fine here. Not as much pressure and birds moving in and out all season long. I have BF Canada's that I've been running since '94 that have not been babied and work fine. The BF specks I have are based on the B2 and just are not the quality of the original BF's. Regardless, they work up here and we kill lots of birds over them and I don't baby any of them. In terms of return on investment I'm quite happy and considering the number of hunts on them they still command a good dollar on the resale market

IMG_1966h.jpg

IMG_2800h.jpg

IMG_2704h.jpg

IMG_2613h.jpg

6. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

a couple more

IMG_1267h.jpg

IMG_1277h.jpg

SB2MAG and GK1 like this.
  7. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

I have been killing geese over silhouettes most of the season now. Barely have been using my DSD. No difference in piles and way easier to set and break down.

8. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Honestly...I think geese finish better when you have allot of silo's out. I prefer to hunt over a mixed spread of fullbodys and silos. I run the fullbodys furthest downwind and run the silo's where I want the geese to land. It seems like there's a whole lot less circling involved when silo's are out...although I could just be hiding better then I did when I ran strictly fullbodys.

9. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

You have nice friends!!

using decoys is all about confidence in those decoys. any of todays decoys will kill geese, you just have to believe and do your part

10. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

Had bigfoots years ago and sold them, then bought Averys with the round bases and basically wore them out or broke most of them. Switched to Avian X with the square bases within a year or so after they came out. I thought they were great for a year or 2. Now after 4 yrs. or how ever long they been out, they are kind of falling apart. Lots of broken heads. Plano replaces them for free but after trying at least 5 times by phone late this summer, one particular style of head was out of stock and they never did get any back in stock prior to the season. This season I'm finding many of the pull out bases are wearing out and wont stay in the standing position. The decoy just slides down the base like the goose is laying on the ground. My buddy bought some new this year and it was physically impossible to pull the base out of several decoys. Pretty much junk in my opinion. I like the motion in a decent wind but I won't be buying anymore Avians. I bag them in slotted bags so I collapse the base after every hunt. I'm thinking maybe it would be better to leave the base extended, not bag them and just pile them in the trailer like you would a bigfoot.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017