So what do you think about your goose decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Dec 18, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I am still running 18 reflocked GHG specks (about 9 years old) and dozen painted new style GHG specks. Usually run a few dozen full body snows as well and usually we do okay. I posted a couple pictures up on the specks and snows thread on here. I like looks of the Avian, might buy some DSDs for next year but I put them out in groups of 5-7 through out the spread. CA specks with a limit of up to 10 per hunter are hunted hard for 100 day season, so you have to be on your game and that is after been hunted from Canada down.

2. hawkhunts

hawkhunts Senior Refuge Member

I have a mixed bag of decoys- 4 dozen big foots, 2 dozen Dakota signature fuly flocks, and 2 dozen avery fully flocks, as well as a few dozen sleepers and shells.
    My original avery's are still holding up for the most part, and i prefer the paint scheme on the pro grades to everything else i have.
    My Dakotas are pretty new- love the new eva plastic and the windwalker bases set up easier than my avery's. They are a little dark, but i like the contrast and the overall scheme. I run them in rogers deluxe bags so they are pretty easy to set upand keep protected. I will be adding more to my spread, but a trailer has to be first.
    I still run my bigfoots when i need a bigger spread. They are bomb proof, big, and we still kill birds everytime we use them. If i run my 'foots we are normally hiding multiple layouts, so we keep the blinds surrounded by the 'foots, and use the fully flocks on motion stakes downwind 25-30 yards to try to get the birds to focus on getting there feet down in the kill hole.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I didn't hunt much this season so I will hit it harder next year.My Son has acquired a few places we can drive into so I will probably add some more drcoys,I know I want more sleepers.Might get a dozen DSD once I won't be packing in, We will see, like to see what new stuff comes out.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I disagree with your value statement. Goose hunters are grossly overpaying for decoys that cost about $2 to produce in China. Photo is of a Herters full body decoy from 1970. You would still kill the crap out of them today with that decoy.

Attached Files:

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I agree. The only reason decoys are so expensive, we're dumb enough to pay that much.

6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

How true that is

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Yeah you could also get to work in a yugo,but I would rather drive my Nissan.
    I take pride in having quality ,realistic decoys just me.
    We hunt a ranch with an old friend,when he invited me and my Son we use 4.5 dozen flocked Avians and a few GHG sleeper shells limits are regulsr,when he hunts it with his other hunting buddies they use 4 dozen old FAs,they kill geese but not the numbers we get with the better spread.

Lonegoose35 likes this.
  8. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

No ... Not really ... I do know how to mount birds and I guess if you want to do stuffers yourself that last a season or two maybe longer if you don't hunt them when it rains or a lot of dew in the air ...I could see it being cheaper ....
    I've had guys want me to make stuffers for them , but I'm a Taxidermist and I'm not about to mount anything half *** ... So I'd charge less than an actual flying mount but no less than 200 ea .... But they can also sit in your trophy room when not in use ..... I told them to just buy DSDs they are the next best and much cheaper .... I could make my own stuffers but with the time involved ... Id rather be hunting so I run DSDs at 1200 a dzn they're a bargain over quality stuffers ... And I'm sure someone can drag out some old crummy lookin stuffers they made yrs ago that they still kill geese over to say look your wrong .... So what .... Stuffers are a pain no matter how you cut it ..
    As far as there being a lot more good looking production line decoys .... There are and I'm sure they all work fine ... I prefer to run DSD because they IMO look far more like a real goose than most and they rarely fail me as long as I'm hidden .... My motto is screw the decoys they'll do their job if we do ours , get covered up , and cover up good .... Hide , location and lastly decoys ...

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Like I said, if you know how to do it yourself.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Throw in maintenance (like Scotch Guarding, blow drying, safe transport and rodent proof storage) and DIY stuffers are no bargain, either - even if you don't include the cost of a second plastic foul weather spread.