So whos ready for dove season?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Drundel, May 25, 2003.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Saw about 30 today at the lease. I sure am ready.

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I"m ready...but I don't have everything ready yet.:) Too much rain so far. I'm drooling over firin' em up with my Sweet 16 project gun.....barrel anyway....Briley tubed, Simmons ribbed, Briley straightened spare Belgian barrel that I found for a song, because the fellow thought it was bent...only a slight ring bulge midway that Briley says they can easily fix, thread for steel safe tubes, and Simmons can add a rib and blueing....a little stock work for some custom fitting on an older spare stock I found....now we're talking dove shoot perfection!:D

3. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Too much rain? Whats rain? :rolleyes:

Nice gun. I an A5-16, with a cutts compensator choke on it. Its a sweet gun, but man my 391 Sporting Gold and 682 Gold E are fine shooting irons.

4. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

Sept. 1 aint that far off and it's kind of crazy to think that another huntin season is getting close. I've been seeing a ton around but theres always plenty of birds since hardly anyone hunts them. Around here there kind of used as a warmup for pheasant season.

5. Fur and Feather

Fur and Feather Elite Refuge Member

Just got done spraying my field. Left a long strip of the wheat untouched as to let it start dropping seed around July. The birds are definitely around the area in droves.

We have several food plots for deer in wheat that are helping to draw them near. Will plant millet and milo in two weeks after fertilizing this weekend.

Once we break up some ground in late July/early August they should hit the field hard for a efw weeks before we open up on them.

6. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 Senior Refuge Member

I'm mentally and physically ready but location is still a problem. Being new to the area I've had problems meeting people who enjoy dove hunting like myself, and access is quite a problem here also. I went on a pay hunt last year and it basically sucked. Didn't know anybody there and there were a bunch of dummies dropping birds in the corn and not bothering to look for em.

7. ALMODUX

skin_dog1

Hook up with some folks at the skeet range on Fort Campbell, or C&K Outfitters down in Woodlawn/Clarksville, TN. Usually some good shoots know about around there. Also, don't be afraid to ask around at the Menonite/Amish farms in the area. Some of my best shoots were there when I was posted up that way.:)

8. berettafan

berettafan Elite Refuge Member

I am way ready for the little appetizers!

Got a 20ga wingmaster just for them!

WOOOHOOO SEPTEMBER!

9. ALMODUX

I'm torn...I just put my new straight stock on my 20 ga. Franchi AL48...the difference in fit is amazing. I can't decide between it or my Sweet 16 now. Probably rotate them...then there's that shell problem. Oh well. Planting #150 of BrownTop and #150 of Blck Oil Sunflowers tommorrow.:)

10. NOVADUCK

NOVADUCK Senior Refuge Member

Can't wait for September. I've seen a lot of doves here in No. VA and Maryland as well. In fact, there's a nest in front of my house. We'll probably try to plan some early teal or resident geese and dove combos. The WMA's near DC are a freakin' free fire zone on opening day. Paid $100 last year to hunt with four friends and had about 5 acres to ourselves for most of the day. I'm thinking about taking a prospective hunter on a dove shoot - just let him get a feel for it. He's not sure about hunting but I thought this might be a good opportunity to get him interested. Sort of like taking some one to a good bluegill hole to introduce fishing. What do you all think? Can't wait to bring the 686 up on some wings. Come on September!!!