So whos ready for dove season?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Drundel, May 25, 2003.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Had a dream about dove season the night before last, man that isn't a good sign.

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

i planted some sunflowers earlier this spring. the plants are about mature, but so are all the weeds. it's mostly pigweed and the density of them is about 10-15 plants per square foot. the sunflowers are about 1 every 2-3 square feet.

i joined the dove sportsmans society and got the field planting guide. i read about the birds diet, and the guide specifically mentioned some methods for stimulating and encouraging the growth of pigweed just for doves. they eat the seeds.

3. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

Paul, Add some open dirt for dusting, and gravel for grit and water for ...well...water areas and you've got Dove Paradise!

4. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

oh yeah, i did make 5 little watering holes in the field. by little, i mean about the size of one side of a tennis court.

there was a live elm tree next to one of the water holes, about 30' tall. last august i drilled a few diagonal holes in the trunk and filled them with 41% glyphosate. within 10 days all the leaves were gone. i've counted as many as 12 doves in there once the branches were bare.

i'll start disking the ground this week.

5. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I'd burn it to remove all the underbrush and then mow strips and you should have mecca.

6. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, and get one of those big haybail looking dove blinds! They look cool and might just work.

7. trkyshootr

trkyshootr Senior Refuge Member

Hey ALMO, How do you like that Franchi? I was considering getting the 48 AL 20 gauge, and probably the Deluxe with the straight stock. I've seen one just like that here in town for $699.

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I love my little Franchi. I put a straight stock on it and like it even better, but it's a personal thing. You either love'em or hate'em.:)

The Millet/Sunflower plot is gettin' good. It made so much millet, that the birds have been landing in the 'jungle' of plants already. We gave up on the sunflowers that we mixed in. We don't need em with all that millet, and the birds seem to like it better anyway. We bush hogged about 1/3 of the field Saturday, then I raked the stalks/grass into windrows with a hay rake, exposing the open ground. Lots of birds are using it for just a 6 acre plot. The amount of millet seed the plants made is incredible. Our socks, shooes, mower deck, etc. were full of seed when we were done, and the ground is covered. The quail are so fat they don't want to fly, and you can drive up within 10 yards of them in a truck, and they'll just keep pecking up millet! The dove are a little spookier, but they're camping out in the area all day, and eating 4-5 times a day.:D Getting ready!:) We'll forget the sunflowers next year, and just plant the millet...probably over 10-12 acres next year.:D

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Birds are packing into the 6 acres of browntop....probably enough there that we could've planted 20 acres. Some of it re-seeded after I raked it, and is now 2" tall.:eek: Still tons of seed around, and the dove #'s are steadily growing. You can watch 2-300 fly into the plot in side of 30 minutes in the afternoons now. That should be plenty for 6-10 of us to shoot on 6 acres. Come on Saturday!:D I think we'll get into this every year, as this has turned out really good so far. Might look into mixing dove and white proso millet into the planting scheme next year. We can row crop it around the edges, and they'll be able to get to it and eat it easily 'til we get ready to cut the browntop. :D

10. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

Every Dove I shot Monday had millet in em. Most had sunflowers, but only one (the fattest one) had corn.
    Good luck down there guys.