So will the party of social control allow states to make their own decisions on gambling?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Lip Shooter, May 16, 2018.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Wondering if old Orion Hatch will get his way, and legislate more social control!

2. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

It is up to the States to decide. I say let people do what they want w/ their $. If they want to bet - let them bet.

And I call BS on States that will not allow gambling/sports betting - but have a State Lottery. :fp

stump and The Other David like this.
  3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I don’t get why a state wouldn’t allow it. The only states that I could see not allowing it would be southern states who still seem rich want to control their people by the Bible.

4. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

Is your dunce hat on a little tight this morning? :rolleyes:

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:doh:doh:doh:doh

6. buck_master_2001

No but my fingers are feeling a little fat. :tu

The only states that I foresee not allowing this would be your southern “conservative” states.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Is it your impression that isn’t happening now? Every time the idea comes up again for AL to try for a lottery, the religious folks around here get up in arms about it. As well as the politicians who are religious. Having that opinion is their right, and I won’t bash them for it, but it is the case. Much like the debates over places going wet here. I remember Carbon Hill, AL trying it for years with the churches being totally against it. They finally went wet, and saw a nice up-tick in tax revenues from it. It didn’t make anyone who wasn’t already drinking start drinking overnight. It just saved a bunch of folks from driving all the way to Jasper to get booze. My dad still lives there and said the folks from the church that were against it still go to Jasper to buy their beer. He loves that he can now drive to the bottom of the hill for his beer. Said he doesn’t mind paying a little more to save a 45 minute round trip to Jasper, and the tax money helped their police dept get a brand new police cruiser (something they never had, they always bought used wore out ones at auction, due to funds).

8. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Ironic that the so-called party of freedom and personal responsibility is almost always opposed to such things as gambling and marijuana legalization. One more reason the Libertarian Party will get my vote at every opportunity.

pintail2222 likes this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Make no mistake... many in the R party want to control you. The Dems wanna control your life and your money. The Rs wanna control you life and your morality.

10. buck_master_2001

That’s my point. I’ve never understood the “limited government/keep government out of our life’s” argument when they want to try and control “moral” issues. Kind of hypocritical in my opinion.