soaking duck meat

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by lab1, May 20, 2013.

1. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

How long do you soak it? I generally use salt water. I was talking with another hunter/fisherman, he says soak in water then take it out and store it in zip lock bags in the fridge if you plan to cook it within a few days.

2. SBE II

SBE II Senior Refuge Member

1 day...And that method is fine...I freeze mine in vaccum bags or ziploc freezer bags...

When you make jerky you should brine for 1 day.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

SBE is right, and I do the same thing. I generally just rinse off, and vac pack.

The salt solution will encourage the transfer of the blood out of the meat.

In the past, I have soaked for several hours in milk, which, according to the legend, softens the gamey taste. When I realized I LIKE the taste of duck, I quit doing that. Now, I just soak in my flavor of the day choice, be it BBQ sauce, Italian Dressing, or a dry rub.

If you DO soak before freezing, change the water often.

4. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I soak all mine in vinegar and water mix. They say salt only pulls the blood out where the wound is. So in our case where the bb's are. Vinegar pulls it out from the whole thing. Try it you'll be amazed at least I was. When we do our deer. I always quarter it up put it in a cooler with a couple bags of ice and vinegar. When I open the lid the next day the meat is a nice pink color. Blood is all gone

5. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

How much vinegar are you adding?

6. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I do at least 50/50 on all my birds

7. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I usually soak my ducks in about 3 gallons of water with a 1/3 of a cup of Kosher salt for about 3 hrs before I vacuum pack them. I wrap them in plastic wrap before I vacuum pack them. I've found that in the freezer when things get move around the vacuum bags often get punctured. The plastic wrap keeps the air tight seal on the meat and delays freezer burn.

8. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

X2 for the plastic wrap for the same reason.

I usually soak overnight covered in the refrigerator.

Before grilling, I marinate for an hour or two in Zesty Italian dressing.

Grilling is a sear, flip, sear and let sit for 5min on the cutting board.

Bloody as hell, and delicious. Cook too long and you might as well eat liver.

3ds

9. XR-2 Fan

XR-2 Fan Elite Refuge Member

I soak mine in ice water and change water twice a day usually for 3-4 days and this works great. I also use my jaccard tenderizer and they bleed out great in the ice water.

10. SBE II

SBE II Senior Refuge Member

Thats a long time...If you want to flush it out quicker put the breasts in a large bucket and just let the hose keep running til the water runs clear. You can press on them as well while the water is running. Works great.