soaking duck meat

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by lab1, May 20, 2013.

1. The_Real_TCIII

The_Real_TCIII Refuge Member

Gutted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You can, but it is much easier to just let em hang.

3. CRB

CRB Refuge Member

Hang em in the fridge?

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If it is lower than 50 degrees, hang em outside, out of the sun. I used to live in Vegas, and we were able to hang our birds there.

5. burns_312

burns_312 Banned

I cut them off the breast, chuck them in a Ziploc, fill full of water and throw in the freezer. When I'm ready to prepare them I'll soak them for a while. Never had an issue or complaint.

6. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Lay them flat in a 'fridge (gutted or not)...breast side up, uncovered for one to two weeks. You'll be amazed at the flavor and tenderness. I have a second ' fridge in my basement for birds (and wine).

7. ValleyFlak

ValleyFlak Elite Refuge Member

Age the ducks like Kahunna says here. You will be amazed! We all had a long discussion about this on another thread. I age the duck breast on a tray after I remove most of the blood but either way, you win.:tu

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=884353&highlight=aging

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I do it w/a little salt(1 day then 2-3 w/just cold water). Had a friend over for dinner, he said that was a great steak.......I told him it was duck. He was amazed! I've used buttermilk over night/24 hrs, but it was too tame.

9. Native NV Ducker

I've posted in a couple of places now, but if you want tender meat, use Baking Soda.

Cut the meat thin, no more than 1/2", or in chunks. Put in a water/baking soda slurry. Amounts aren't critical, say 3 Tb to 1/2 cup water. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Baking soda is a meat tenderizer, that imparts no flavor. I have used it now on beef, pork, chicken, duck, and goose. Nemont has used it on venison. It will NOT go deep into the meat, so that is why you need thinner cuts.

10. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

I gut and then hang for at least week if it's cold outside. Otherwise gutted and in an old fridge for the same amount of time. Uncle Ted was right, makes great food!!