soaking duck meat

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by lab1, May 20, 2013.

1. Indian Isle

Indian Isle Senior Refuge Member

If you read up on the dry aging process and do it correctly, you will never go back to your old way of preparing ducks. Muck more tender and delicious.

2. bigo18

bigo18 New Member

after hunting I just wash them and bag. When I cook them I brine for 12-24 hours and then pan sear them. Everyone I have hunted with always removes the skin. I prefer the skin on, just as you would get it in a restaurant or from a butcher shop. It keeps the meat more tender and flavorful IMO.

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

THIS:tu

I have a "beer, birds, and bait" fridge just for this purpose.

If I am going to marinate after dry aging, I use Cranberry Juice. Acidic, just like vinegar, but with a flavor more complimentary to game. I personally can't stand vinegar soaked meat.

4. papacharlie

papacharlie Senior Refuge Member

I do the ice cold water & salt next day I pat the breasts dry and the place a cheese cloth on the bottom of a cookie sheet place the breasts on top and another cheese cloth on top of the breasts in 7 days I flip them over for 7 more if your not in a hurry try this:tu

5. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

I know this post is a bit older. But with all my google searching, this forum seemed to be the most knowledgable... My father in law brought us a bunch of duck and goose meat last week. We put it in a big Rubbermaid container, with salt, water and a lid. The plan was to leave it sitting for about 3 days. Well Christmas took over, and we forgot about it. Today is a week later, and we finally remembered... What do you all think? Is it still good to eat? Its been cold the entire time, but i can honestly say duck meat is not a knowledge strongpoint of mine. I appreciate any and all answers!

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If it smells bad, no, don't eat it.

If it smells good, fine, eat it.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

I've left goose breast sitting in a pan with salt & water for a week before. Haven't gotten sick yet, but I usually changed the water out at least once.

I hear all these guys that hang a whole duck/goose for extended periods of time and it turns out fine, they actually say it makes it taste better.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I just finished hanging my ducks and pheasants for 8 days. No problem. However, there is a difference between hanging, and exposed meat in a fridge.

mike-sid likes this.
  9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

the duck should be fine, but my experience is that the meat will have more metallic flavor after sitting in salt water that long. i soak mine overnight, and will change the water once or twice if it is bloody.