Soap Box

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Real Green, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how many times I have heard the same old BS of the purchase price of your pup is minimal compared to the life long expense of a dog. This usually comes with a purchase price over $1000. To the guy that says, "I just want a hunting dog."

When the purchase price is over $1000 you're looking at around 10% of the life long costs in the purchase price. Probably one of the biggest single expenses for the life of the dog.

There is a chance for major vet bills, but I haven't found it common. Out of 15 dogs in the last 35 years with in my family (my parents, brothers family, and my family) there have been 3 major vet bills totalling about $6000.

Sure you add in the expense of FT and protraining than ownership costs doubles.

For most of us, a $1500 pup would be the most expensive single expense of dog ownership. Everything else is spread out over 10-15 years.

Just saying!

Cheers,

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

1. I hear it (and I say it) all the time too -- but I don't consider it BS. This is most commonly stated when comparing a $300 newspaper dog to a dog from a quality breeding.

2. Biggest SINGLE expense --- Yes, you are correct.
    Spread over 10 to 15 years, it comes out to a whopping $100 a year (maximum), which is less than $0.35 a day. A $500 pup will be a difference of $0.17 a day :doh

3. I agree -- and I'm also guessing that the health related expenses might just be higher for a newspaper dog compared to one whose parents are tested genetically as clean as possible.

4. It ain't cheap to train your own either.

5. See my answer #2.

**** I am not a breeder ****

3. watchm

watchm Banned

How much are FT pros out there per month?

4. Real Green

I hear you doc. It just seems condenscending. It makes my skin crawl a little when I read "don't worry about the price of the pup, it's only $.17 a day for the life of a dog." Well guess what, a lot of us have to worry about the price and it is a consideration. It's not $.17 a day for the life of the dog, it's $500 today, plus, plus, plus. The difference between a $500 and $1000 is double.

Why does the average Joe hunter need a $1,500 pup compared to a $500 pup from hunting lines with health guarantees?

5. Desire Dogs

Desire Dogs Senior Refuge Member

I'm not sure I agree.
    1. Lets factor in training equipment.
    2. Dog food, shots, heartworm and flea/ tick monthly.
    3. Testing- CNM, EIC, OFA, CERF ect.
    4. TESTS/ Trials- depends on how many you run. Then factor in hotels and gas.

As for costs of the pup let me give an example. I had Dora bred back in July. AI to a FC out of WA. Expenses were $2700. total by the time the pups were 7 weeks. We had only 3. I charged $1000. per pup and I kept one. I didn't do it for the money. I did however do it for a female-- which I now have a male because there were no females.:doh

Anyone see where I'm going with this?
    Joe

6. Boo8meR

Boo8meR Elite Refuge Member

If you're expecting a good 10 years of hunting out of the dog, why not stack the odds in your favor?

I spent $1,500 on mine without thinking twice. Sure, she may not be any better than a $500 newspaper puppy, but there's no way to tell when they're 7-8 weeks old, SO why not stack the odds in my favor?

7. Real Green

It's not in everyone's budget to spend $1500 on a pup, and you can get a great dog for $500.

8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

How can someone have paid what it costs to do OFA (or PENN) Hips, OFA Elbows, CNM, EIC, PRA & CERF on both the sire and dam afford to sell pups for $500 ?

9. Rick_C

Rick_C Senior Refuge Member

That's a subjective statement. Great to you may not be "great" to someone else.

That said, I agree you don't have to spend $1,500 to get a good pup but also believe you should buy the most expensive pup you can afford with all health clearances to get the best odds of getting a pup that lives a long, healthy life with the talent to do what you got 'em for.

10. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Real Green -I agree with you 100 %. I suspect that the people who say that $1000 or more for a pup is a bargain in the long run don't have problems balancing their checkbooks every month. It is a shame when owning a pup that is of good quality gets to be beyond the average sportsman who in fact doesn't really care about hunt tests, field trials, etc, and really is quite happy with a dog that hunts for him, flushes upland game, retrieves to hand, may or may not handle out to 200 yards, but does the job that he wants done. I doubt if dogs are any happier winning a FT than mine are flushing and retrieving pheasants, and retrieving a few ducks and geese every year. They still get exercised every day in the off season. Incidentally, the last dog I bought was also the most expensive dog I have ever bought, had all the clearances available at the time, but is an EIC carrier and also had hips that wouldn't pass OFA. She is the first dog I have ever had with hip troubles and I have never sold a pup that came back with hip problems or any other genetic defect!

LL