Soap Box

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Real Green, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

I should let this die, but only a few seem to comprehend what I am saying. It has nothing to do with the price of a pup. or being "cheap."

It's insulting to tell someone they do not have the budget to buy a pup for their needs.

I think most have their heart in the right place. It just comes across wrong.

Leave money out of the equation and there would never be a problem. Tell a guy if he can't afford X than he can't afford a pup is crazy, arrogant, and rude (in my opinion).

9 out 10 times it's the guy that says he just wants a hunting/meat dog. I define that as the pet first hunt dog second.

It seems to me, that if the "pros" would stick to the facts of what minimum health standards one should look for, everyone would be better served. Less people would be turned off from the attitude that comes across.

2. bluto56

bluto56 Senior Refuge Member

the only thing i ask is no matter how much or how little you spen on the dog,train it as good as you can and if it dosn't work out don't just tie it up out side and ignore it,or mistreat it.not saying that you would but you never know.

3. Bayou Magic

Bayou Magic Senior Refuge Member

Playing the field trial game doesn't have to cost big bucks. Depending on where you live and how far you have to travel for trials you can do it much cheaper. Also, nowhere is it written that you have to put your dog with a pro to play the game. Typical entry for one AA stake is $80, so if you run both open and am, that's $160 per trial. I budget about $300 per trial, and run only 10 or so trials per year.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I agree with the majority. Buy the best breeding that you can afford. What's so insulting about that?

fp

4. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Sanity hasn't always been welcomed in this thread. But it should have been. Very good...and accurate post.

EvanG

5. copterdoc

copterdoc Senior Refuge Member

I don't like it when the expressions "you get what you pay for" and "buy the best breeding you can afford" are applied to buying a HUNTING dog (meat dog).

There is a very good reason, for me saying that.

Most of the people that want a meat dog, don't know a good breeding when they see one. If the PRICE of the puppies is used as the determining factor of whether the pups are going to turn out to be GOOD hunting dogs, the buyer is PROBABLY gonna get raped!

There are MORE rip-offs and scams from puppy mill breeders, than there are responsible breeders, that TRY THEIR BEST, to produce Labs that will WORK to retrieve ducks.

I think it is generally safe to say that a well planned breeding probably won't be cheap. It doesn't HAVE to be expensive either, but if the breeding actually is a good one, the price set by such a breeder, is "probably" a good deal.

6. keskam

keskam Senior Refuge Member

I have 1 to 2 litters a year, and I was thinking about this thread, everybody is talking about the litter and pedigree but what about the people welping and caring for these pups for 8 weeks? Do you think the training that is given to these pups in this time span helps them become a quality dog or bird dog?

I do.

It starts with me with Early Neurological Stimulation.
    My pups have so much human contact that when they see other people they cant wait to get by them.
    What about BIRDS at 6 to 7 weeks? letting them get a taste and chase a live bird, and some retrieves of dead birds. I know that makes a difference!
    What about potty training? My pups are creating a habit to go outside after eating, sleeping and before they are put up for the night.
    What about kennel training? My pups are almost kennel trained before they leave.

I would bet alot of breeders on here do the same. I believe a good bird dog starts way before that pup goes home and some of it has to do with what happens from birth to 8 weeks. I think it has alot to do about the care than the money. JMO

7. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

The only criteria I see for separating the two is whether or not you believe your time is worth anything. I value mine too much to even conduct any more breedings, and I have nothing but respect for those dedicated breeders who settle only for the best. Their time and effort, along with their dedication factor into a higher price. I have no problem paying them for their contributions toward keep our breed intact at the highest levels possible.

EvanG

8. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

9. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

10. keskam

keskam Senior Refuge Member

I agree it is very time consuming, but rewarding! and if my Wife wasnt a big part of it we would not do it.
    I dont think a puppy buyer looks at it that way either, I have alot come to my house and act like they are at a garage sale, wondering if i will take less, or the ones who want the pup right now, and the pup is 5 to 6 weeks old.
    The gratifacation of helping produce a quality pup, and watching the owners pick the pup up, and the e-mails you get thanking you for a awsome pup is part of the reward too.