Soap Box

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Real Green, Feb 15, 2010.

1. copterdoc

copterdoc Senior Refuge Member

The task of selecting a breeding that has a "good possibility" of producing several pups with the potential of having the genetics to become Field Champions, would be terrifying to ME.

I do not have enough experience or knowledge to make that kind of decision. However, I DO have the experience and knowledge, to know where to FIND OUT the answers.

The ability to discern who is giving good advice and who can't be trusted is the key, to finding a pup that has a good chance of growing into a dog CAPABLE of doing what I want it to do.

Can people that give the BEST advice come across as arrogant?

Certainly.

However, I would rather take the solid advice, of the arrogant expert, than the foolish advice, of the ignorant layman.

I am not going to describe myself as an expert, I'm not even close. But I think there ARE a lot of experts, available on this board. I would rather swallow my pride and take their sound advice, than make a foolish decision, because I based it on advice that didn't hurt my "feelings" in the way it was presented.

2. BenWa

BenWa Banned

Here, Here!! Kudos.:)

3. Misty Marsh

Misty Marsh Elite Refuge Member

This is a forum, you get what you pay for, but if you can bury the ego and open your mind to the fact that there may be poeple who know more thsan yourself, you will walk away with some great info that will help you and your dog!
    I read this and instantly thought that you wre right on!:tu Also don't these breeders deserve to be compensated for thier work, care, and nurturing with an reasonable sale price?

4. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Misty - your last post included a quote from somewhere else that mentioned the fact that "experts" can come across as arrogant and that is absolute fact. What I learned 40 years ago or more is that you can teach people and help them learn, if you can overcome your own arrogance.
    Approach people with a willingness to help and they will usually listen. Approach them as if they are stupid and you are the only one who knows what is right, and you have lost them at the outset.
    There are experts on here and in other forums. Some of the best horse trainers who give seminars, always start off with something like "I'm not saying this is the only way - I'm just saying this is what has worked for me."

olepal

5. keskam

keskam Senior Refuge Member

I do believe they need compensated:tu

6. Paco

Paco Senior Refuge Member

Good post Kevin...

7. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

:clap Great advice! The REAL issue. That silence you hear is the sound of the true message going over everyone's head. :h

8. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Very close. Most of us have heard (to death!) the saying that "Knowledge is power". That usually gets heads nodding reflexively. But it isn't quite accurate. Not until knowlege is acted upon is it powerful. Before someone is willing to overcome their own arrogance...their own preconceived notions, can new knowledge be assimilated into a new plan of action.

No one knows it all. But new knowledge is of no value to a person who will not permit it into their world, and then act on it.

EvanG

9. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

The silence you hear is more likely the "giving advice without my knowing my head from my rump" crowd or the "have never been there but I am gonna argue with those that have" crowd both taking a deep breath before reloading. :L

10. Misty Marsh

Misty Marsh Elite Refuge Member

If your reffering to myself, nothing has gone over my head, but thanks for offering that pearl of wisdom. Have I, or many others come off as arrogant, I'm sure we have especially in the eye's of someone who's ego/mentality/personality won't let them entertain a new idea that's not thier own. Can it be that the message is not the issue, but the delivery, sure, but it can also be the way that it's recieved too. I'm not going to tip toe around someone's feelings, when they come to a forum and ask a question they do not have the answer for, then respond by saying your wrong. If you want to stroke your ego and only get answers to the questions that you like, then ask someone in the same boat, that will be the one going knowehere fast.