Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Sock question

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by possumfoot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

is there any sock on the market that can handle being hunted in rain/snow?

2. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Silo-socks and White Rocks both have drain holes in them and the rest of them probably do as well. I have used both in rain and snow and have no issues with either of them.

3. possumfoot

i have hunted silosocks in the rain and snow. i would NEVER recommend anyone do that.

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

all my sillosocks and tanglefrees have drain holes.
    Maybe 1 or 2 times I've had to use fans to dry some off, usually if they get wet I just stick them in the back yard and let the sun and wind do their thing.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Sillosocks are probably the worst sock to try and get snow/water/ice out of with having two bags. Virtually every sock brand has drain holes in them, our skyflys have held up well being used in adverse conditions.

6. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I never understood the big deal hunting socks in rain or snow as long as not enough water collects in the bag weighing the tail down. I will pick them up and put them away wet if I am hunting the next day. The only time I worry about putting them away dry is the last hunt. Like at the end of a Canada trip. If my sock spread gets rained on immediately prior to them being stored away for a week or more, I don't pick it up, even if it means coming back the next day to do so. 95% of the time when rained on, waiting let nature dry them out.

7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Everything is a trade off, but Sillosocks new Flocksox. The hard plastic breast requires more wind to fill the bags, but also lets less snow and rain in.

8. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Generally it isn't a huge deal, sleet/snow with a good wind will fill up the bags and start to make them droop eventually depending on how long you hunt. Makes dumping out 500+ decoys more of a. inconvenience than anything else. The picture below is one of those days, all the sleet/sno basically greated ball in the tail end of the decoys.

20170312_094953.jpg

Silosocks are a nightmare IMO in situations like this. Another worst case would be getting rained on, the decoys not drying out very well or at all by the time they're put back into bag/totes then thrown back into a trailer or pickup bed over night with lows reaching below freezing and you have decoys frozen to each other. If you have the option/trust to let your spread sit there a few days just to dry them out that would be best case scenario. All part of the fun of snow goose hunting, sometimes weather like that can make for some banner shoots. Other days just lots of extra work

jthomp01 likes this.
  9. possumfoot

i put out and pick up over 3000 decoys every day. SS fill up with rain and snow. 1) making them not fit back in the bags. 2) making them too heavy to carry. 3) making them look like crap. 4) running the risk of freezing. i could care less about a mist. i hunt EVERY DAY so rain, snow, or shine i'm in it. personally, i don't mind dropping 8-10 grand on a bad weather spread that meets my needs even if i only use it 2-3 times a year.

10. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Why not buy 800-1000 fullbodies then. That way when the weather is looking crappy, you can set the plastic rig and not worry about socks filling up.