Sod farm

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Rich5294p, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Rich5294p

Rich5294p Senior Refuge Member

got a sod farm that we have permission to hunt. Can't put in a pit and the birds don't like the edges to much. Best way to hide in the field? I'm thinking layouts with winter wheat blind grass and surrounding the blinds with decoys and only hunting the field with four layouts max. My other thought is a tangle free panel blind along a edge and try to pull the birds closer than what they normally go to the edge. The blind would not really blend well but thinking maybe dress it up to look like a bush or native grasses ?What says the experts? Let me have it. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Backboards and get Camo systems netting that best matches the sod. We do this with bean fields that are completely flat and it has been the best so far.

3. Rich5294p

Your not worried about not being fully concealed? Do you have a pic of your setup?

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I used to hunt a sod farm with Mike "Big Guy" Keller back in the 90's. we always used to just make blinds out of pallets that they had stacked up on the farm. The geese were got plenty used to seeing them all over the farm, and would land in the decoys.

5. Rich5294p

Thought about that as well but we cannot drive across the fields or on the farm so it would be a lot of humping pallets 300 yards from where they are stacked to where the birds have landing. Absolutely cannot destroy and part of this farm

6. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I would stay away from the winter wheat fast grass. You will never match it well enough to fool geese.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

why not just ask the sod farmer to move a stack over there for you?

Buy him a nice bottle of bourbon????

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

It may be worth trying a willow blind. I cant figure out why, but they work just as good or better than layouts.
    [​IMG]

pud123 likes this.
  9. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I don’t have any pics. Several years ago we were getting busted by snows really bad, couldn’t dig layouts in, so a buddy started doing all sorts of reading and thinking and just came up with it. Just use the Camo Systems like a blanket and pull it up to your head. Since it’s a 3D betting in blends great. We do the same thing to this day for snows and it’s way better than a layout. You do feel naked but I kinda like that stuff anyways plus once you start shooting you’ll loose the stage fright

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

When I hunt green winter wheat or alfalfa fields, like this,

9563AD5C-372B-4C44-980E-57A97343FA3F.jpeg

I use a green ghille suit and or green or white military camo. I lay flat on my back, outside of the decoys and cover up with the camo including my head, arms and shoulders. Sometimes I’ll place one decoy next to the dog if I bring him. The dog uses the military camo also or burlap.

D84F1D0E-9DA1-4A08-A926-9CB2AB01F5C5.jpeg

F30E066B-05CE-4242-A0C3-C476B19E30E4.jpeg

12C47ED9-4EB2-4E15-AAD6-5CF8C6B760F1.jpeg

Personally, if I hunted a sod field, I’d carry in any amount of decoys, from four bigfoot decoys up to two dozen Bigfoot decoys and lay cross wind to the decoys using green military camo