Sod farm

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Rich5294p, Dec 20, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

You can match sod. sometimes.
    I planted a pasture mix for my wifes and daughters horses, I fence off part of the field in August, let the grass grow. Then veg up on my blind.
    You know its about the hide,.. Hunt fewer hunters. ( or none others) is there anypart of the field you can trim lots of grass and add.
    How about placing the blinds in the field for a few days and let the birds become accustomed to them. big field just set them where you will hunt after a couple days with decoys they often will easily commit.
    One field I dont trust anything out there. But I pile up wheat straw or potato vine. then use that veg fto hide the blinds
    I had a 3 acre pasture I use to hunt 150 yards from the back door of the rancher. Pasture was always green and very short 2000 birds would squeeze in ( I was also the only one to hunt the firld in over 70 years) First day I would place the blind 100 feet from the fence, let the birds work in around it The next move to where I would hunt. Following day a handfull of decoys,. shoot and get out then hunt it the next.
    Or wait til snow

2. salthunter

upload_2017-12-21_11-50-57.jpeg
    Pile this lump up a week before; using a Pro-guide, a big blind

Pasture grass below.
    My daughter bought some good grass hay this year that looks very green, matched well the time we used it.
    setting near change ups helps
    upload_2017-12-21_12-11-2.jpeg

3. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Several years ago a friend asked me to go on a sod field hunt that a buddy of his had set up. These guys had the ugliest garage spread I’d ever seen and had the decs set like you would for lessers and left it in the field from day 1. They had 4 layouts left it the field with sod tied to the doors and sides. Of course it had turned brown and the rest of the 180 acres looked like a golf course. I was thinking what a waste of time until the birds started coming. It seems every group locked up from a hundred yards out and no matter what they were coming. These guys shot this place 2-3 times a week all season and it didn’t matter. I’m not sure what the deal was but since then I’ve always thought sod must be like crack for geese!

4. salthunter

Or close to it

5. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I remember that bird @SB2MAG that was an old bird if I can recall correctly. Ghillies work, seams help, honestly I think an old pair of the right colored sweats would be the best.

6. Rich5294p

Rich5294p Senior Refuge Member

Ended up doing awesome. 3 layouts grassed with fast grass. Spaced out a few feet apart. Had about 3.5 dozen full bodies out, 3 dozen shells and about 2 dozen divebombs silos. Had a 3 person limit by 0845 this morning. (9 birds). Should've been done a little sooner but a couple groups got away unscathed minus a few feathers. Small groups we could get to commit and work. The big flocks would give us one or two looks and head out

H20DAD and Flyfisher like this.
  7. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

If any of the fields have had any harvesting done, lay in the dirt strips and cover with burlap using your gear bag as a headrest.
    If there is no dirt, find a couple of goose chair blinds, set off to the side of the kill hole, so you are shooting crossers not in the face.
    Then you too can be one of us who gets laughed at for using a goose chair!.......

To kill hundreds of birds a year

8. Rich5294p

Rich5294p Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply quacker. We,ve actually done pretty good in this field this year. Using the wind and weather to our advantage. We have been using layouts and been using decoys to break up there outline. Shot a limit there this morning and the geese were still landing in the dekes as we were walking around picking up

H20DAD and QuaaackerJack like this.
  9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Hide under super mag shells. Take fewer people. Set up off to the side of main decoy spread.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.34.45 PM.png See if you can borrow a number of lengths of scraps of sod and clamp them to the sides etc of your layout and then make cut outs of the doors of the layout out of this material.