Solo 2017

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Dec 11, 2017.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Sunrise Dec 10 2017.jpg
    Every season, I stumble into a day when everyone has company X-mas parties or other conflicts. I get a twinge of excitement over the prospect of embarking on a solo hunt, just me and my Lab. Sunday was that opportunity. My wife always gives me a little grief over safety, etc – but she knows the life insurance agent. Moose and I arrive at the marsh to 25 degrees and 50% ice covered. We flushed 50 or so, from pockets of open water. A couple weeks back, many times that number had been roosting. I set out 2 dozen decoys, 2 mojo’s and some geese full bodies. I was pleased to discover a good NW wind at about 12mph. Sweating, I climbed into the pit and poured a “rally cup “ of coffee. Moose and I sat down 15-20 min before shooting light and saw few ducks, all was quiet and I wondered if the cold front pushed new birds down or old birds out. I snapped this picture at sunrise and just on Que, 8-10 mallard dropped in. For the first 10 minutes, after LST, I clicked off the safety 4-5 times and failed to take a shot. It wasn’t a duckNado, maybe 50-75 mallard working my spread, coming from all directions. My head was on a swivel and I couldn’t decide which target to break the silence. I sometimes take hens, but try never to target them. Moose is wondering who the idiot is in the duck blind, not shooting. Finally a drake makes a slow decent and falls. The hunt lasted about an hour and I failed to get the bonus duck, but left with memories of another wonderful outdoor experience.
    Russ Dec 10 2017.jpg

Mean Gene, Woody, Neck Collar and 3 others like this.
  2. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

3. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. Solo hunts are my favorite. The only drawbacks are there’s no one to high five when you triple on a 3-pack that drops into the spread...and there’s no one else to blame but yourself when you whiff on the next three.

Neck Collar and Tuleman like this.
  4. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

Those are the best ones for sure, just you, your dog and the ducks.

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Excellent post :tu:tu