Some Dirt being moved at Neosho WA

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by DornCounty, Aug 11, 2016.

1. fireman1293

fireman1293 Senior Refuge Member

A major redo. Redoing the dikes to not make them so steep and more of a transition from pool to pool. They want it to be more "natural" not just a bunch of levees and separated pools. The method for making schell was old practices of dam and dike to hold water. They want to cut down on the amount of silt that gets deposited into the area from flooding off of the drainage ditches that surround Schell. The biologist said it had so much silt deposited over the years that they can actually dig down and see the layers of the past years floods. They said that Four Rivers and Schell will probably never have a great stand of crops because the area tends to get too much rain and hold water during the summer for crops, but they will always continue to plant moist soil plants. Schell will remain a draw area and they will look at redoing some of the refuge areas as well. It is a joint effort between DU and MDC and will be one of the largest projects in the state. If you guys are interested in getting your kids involved through the DU legacy program cost is $200 and it covers their DU membership till age 21. They will also get their name on the plaque that will be displayed at Schell Osage after the completion is done.

Cliner likes this.
  2. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

If something doesn't change on a Federal level I think we will only have the state areas to hunt. No GMO crops, no diesal pumps, no water manipulation, no hunting. The slope has already slipped and unless hunters are able to have more influence USFW will just slide on down to minimum management. Sad days ahead for hunters wanting to use land we own as tax payers.

Neck Collar likes this.
  3. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

Any updates on progress?

4. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

3rd wettest April on Record if that tells you anything. That killed a lot of time. A decent amount of equipment is there and things always seem to be moving. I believe the pump system is in and tested, the crew that put that thing in flew. To the untrained eye considering the wet spring things seem to be going well. IF it stays hot and dry things should keep moving. IF we get a run off event, it seems to me things would come to a halt for a while. This is all untrained observer stuff.

MrMallard88 likes this.
  5. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Hasn't stayed hot or dry, DornCounty, at least not in the NE part of the state and I think you all have gotten rain too. Is it looking promising that more pools will be open this fall? I think Marais des Cygnes got a lot of guys coming up from further SE than usual due to Neosho being mostly closed, same with 4 Rivers on the MO side. I'm hoping the pools all get opened back up to reduce hunter numbers on each area this season. We'll see!

6. DornCounty

Things seemed to be going great until this August rain....Guessing this may rank in the top 5 wettest Augusts on record.. They had taken out the "red gate" levy that goes E and NE.. attempting to get the levy in that was going to grab 80 acres of the old refuge pool(old pool 2). But water has slowed that now.

The new parking area looks pretty close to done and the boat lane looks pretty good, forms are in to pour the ramps. THe (N half of old Pool 4 is flooded). I know they are all doing the most they can to have it ready without blowing the budget on OT and such. But two of our "rainiest months on record" have set things back. As a tax payer and user of the area, I've been pleased with how efficient the resources have been applied. Could things have been done faster? Sure, but costs would have been way higher, if that makes sense. Everyone should be happy with how things are going all things considered.

Looks like a new update was just posted today... better explains it than I can : http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Southeast/Neosho

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  7. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for linking, Dorn. It's good to see that some of the habitat will be ready for Waterfowl season. Marias des Cygnes seemed extra busy this past year with Neosho not really huntable, in fact I spoke with several hunters who were their since their "home field" at Neosho was under construction. Everyone will hopefully have a less crowded experience with some of the pools being opened back up this Fall, which is good for all of us public hunters.

8. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Dorn how much rain has fell in august there hearing incredible amounts

9. DornCounty

Guessing 14+ inches. I had one 4.5" day and another 3.5" day and I'm across the river a couple miles from the watershed that drains into there. Plus a bunch of other half to 1" storms. The crews actually did a good amount of work despite the rain. But that last storm pushed things over the edge and really filled up the refuge pool.

I think the typical Aug average is something like one inch. Not at all unusual to not have a measurable rain the whole month.

10. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member