Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Some New Ducks in Southern Ontario

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by The Old Taz, Oct 6, 2015.

1. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

I had been watching out back all last week the duck numbers were low. I only had 2 dozen birds go to roost on Friday night. The wife, a friend and I decided to set up anyways the next morning. We had a strong ENE wind and ducky skies in the morning. This must have brought in some new birds. We had consistent small groups work us most of the morning. With the heavy wind we had to make the first shot or two count because by the third shot they were gone.

We ended up getting our birds by 11 am, a nice mixed bag of woodies, mallards, a black, a shoveler and a bonus goose. We could have had more geese but we're duck hunters. We also had a great breakfast in the blind, bacon, eggs, etc.

When we were cleaning the birds we noticed that almost all of them were eating small seeds (millets?) and something green (vegetation of some type).

Here's a few shots from the morning....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  2. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

V. nice sounds like a great hunt. Breakfast in the blind sounds like a winner too! Tough to get very organized when we are running around the bales trying to keep the birds from busting us.

Tom B.

spcamno likes this.
  3. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

HEY quit shooting my birds. No wonder We don't get any migrants any more. You folks up north are shooting them.

Congrats on a good outing. Where I hunt we get your left overs. Seems like you folks must have a great appitite. We haven't seen a major migration in about 10 years. Save us some.

4. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

Any new ducks around the Peterborough area?

5. 1550FPS

1550FPS Senior Refuge Member

Yes, Lots.