Some pattern results

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by sheboyganjohn, Oct 15, 2017.

1. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

Still putting the duck boat back together, weather has been way too warm for my tastes and I have a cold, so I have time to work through all my pattern results. I am going to do separate posts for the different gun/choke combos to keep them organized and not make only giant post. I am using Tru-lock chokes with a Browning Silver and Maxus. The Silver is my duck gun and the Maxus is my goose gun. I was trying to work through 10 different load designs with these two guns and four different chokes. I did not get all the combo's shot that I wanted, but got enough to make a decision, for now, on what I want to use.

So on to the patterns. Feel free to comment.

2. sheboyganjohn

One more note. All loads I am shooting are reloads. I will post hull and shot charge. The vast majority of my load data is a combo of book data and info I have collected from reliable reloaders on the web. There for I will not post up the load data.

The first one the Maxus with F1 choke for pass shooting geese. Remington 3" hull with 1 1/4 BBB

40 Yds. 68 hits 88%
    Maxus F1 40yd Load 9.JPG

50 yds. 68 hits 88%

Maxus F1 50yd Load 9.JPG

Both have the exact same pellet count in the circle. Since my circle is a piece of cardboard it is not always easy to hit the exact center of the target, but is close enough for me.

3. sheboyganjohn

Again Maxus with F1 choke for decoying geese with the possibility of some ducks. 3" cheddite with 1 1/4 of #1 Decoying geese seem to always be about 30yds minimum for us.

40 yds. 99 hits 77%
    Maxus F1 40yds load 10.JPG

If it is just geese it would be the Maxus with F-1 2 3/4" Fed buckshot hull with 1 1/8 of BBB

40 yds 64 hits 89%
    Maxus F1 40yds Load 1 (2).JPG

4. sheboyganjohn

Now I don't go out and field hunt geese a lot, I am mainly a marsh and open water duck hunter. So lets go over the duck loads.

For marsh hunting I like to have the birds work so I don't need long range here. All duck loads will be in the Browning Silver using the Mid choke.

1oz of #4 in a 2 3/4" Federal top gun hull. Most likely the first shot when there are still small ducks around.

30yds. 152 hits 79%
    Silver Mid 30yds load 6.JPG

1 1/8oz of #2 in a 2 3/4" Federal buckshot hull 1st shot latter in the season.

30yds 110 hits 78%
    Silver Mid 30yds Load 2.JPG

Then the main load I will use for the majority of my shooting.
    2 3/4" Rio hull 1 1/8 of #3

20 yds. 167 hits 100%
    Silver Mid 20yds Load 5.JPG

30 yds 149 hits. 89%
    Silver Mid 30yd Load 5.JPG

5. sheboyganjohn

The last load is the one I will use for open water hunting on Lake Michigan. Same as the main load above but with the Silver and a F2 choke.

40 yds. 140 hits. 84%
    Silver F2 40yd Load 5.JPG

This is all I have to post. I wish I would have done the Silver F2 with the Rio load at 50yds. May try and get out to the gun club and try it once.

6. sheboyganjohn

OK I lied. I have one more to post. The guys I hunt with on Lake Michigan like to shoot Black Cloud 1 1/2oz #4 in 3 1/2 Looking at this pattern and my patern above with the 1 1/8 of #3, I think I will stick with the #3 and avoid the mule kick of the 3 1/2. Shot in the Silver with the F2 choke.

40 yds 186 hits 65%
    Silver F2 40yd Black Cloud 4 one and a half oz.JPG

7. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

What are the F1 and F2 chokes? Are those from their “Super Waterfowl” line? Patterns look good!

8. sheboyganjohn

Yes, those are the super waterfowl F-1 and F-2 chokes. F-1 is made for the letter shot sizes BB to F and F-2 is 3 to B.

9. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Great post, you very rarely actually see folks pattern and post the proof, so good on you!
    ALSO, I think your shot/payload and range choices are great, right about what I do myself.
    AND since I shoot a Maxus and a camo Cynergy, both Browning Invector plus barrels just like you, and I also use Trulock IC and LM precision hunter chokes (Carlson too but can't remember which gun right now), I think your results are probably very applicable to me-- so THANKS for posting this!

Two other questions:
    1. You say "mid choke", what constriction or choke are you using here? Since your results are so perfect for my setup, I may want to purchase one of what you're shooting ;)
    Trulock doesn't label any that way that I can see on their site, they say:
    "Waterfowl 2 Pack
    This choke set contains the Precision Hunter in Improved Cylinder and Modified as described at the top of the page.
    Improved Cylinder, (.010 constriction) for shooting at midrange such as typically found when using decoys and usually about 35 yards. As above most loads using # 2 steel will give a nominal modified pattern.

Modified, (.020 constriction) for longer range such as pass shooting. Usually at 40 or 40 plus yards. Again most loads of # 2 steel or larger when used with this choke will give a full choke pattern."

2. Could you maybe list what speed these reloads are? I understand not wanting to post a recipe, I'm usually the same, but if you could list the speed and maybe the wad used, guys like me could cross reference and figure out the load from the actual source ;)

Again, really a great post and thanks!

10. sheboyganjohn

The mid is out of the waterfowl 2 pack you list. It actually says Mid on the choke so that is what I write in my notes so I don't confuse myself with anything else. So it is the .010 constriction you have listed above.

I have not run them over the chronograph yet so I don't have the speeds.

From the goose loads, the 3" rem hull and the 2 3/4" buckshot hull are using the MM1275 (or what ever they are calling it now a days) with a Fed 209 and the Cheddite 3" is using a CSD114, but required a bit of trimming, with a cheddite primer.

From the duck loads the 1oz load in the top gun hull is a 209 primer with a CSD100 wad, one of the Lightening steel loads.
    The buckshot hull has a fed 209 and the Rio hull has a cheddite. both CSD118.