Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Somebody is lying...

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

About all the millions of ducks that are up North on the breeding grounds and are supposed to be migrating down the coast. There's just no ducks any where from the reports I'm getting. Where did they go? We have not even shot a duck in Back Bay this year and now the whole works is about to freeze up and the ice will knock all the blinds over...again! How much colder does it have to get North of us to push a little web footed bird that has a brain the size of a pea down to our area? I am hoping for a BIG WARM UP after this week, cause the cold and ice ain't doing it! Might as well be comfortable in the blind and see nothing, than freezing your #%# off for nothing.

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

They been killing them good all season down south around South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Of course they’re killing jacks and lbds, but they’ve got them and we don’t.

Still not many ducks in my neck of the woods either, and everything little is frozen solid. Usually that’s when it gets good for us, but not this year.

I’ve watched some good flocks flying south a few days this season, and that’s been the highlight.

3. imaduckin up north

imaduckin up north Senior Refuge Member

There ain't no ducks in Virginia Dick's Sporting Goods told me so

4. HAKA

HAKA New Member

I think a lot of them are migrating earlier and earlier, I saw more birds this year during late October and November than I've seen in the previous 3 seasons combined. The start of the last split was also pretty good until the couple cold snaps we've had pushed those birds out as well. Late December has never been very productive for anyone I know and it tends to not get better until real prolonged cold spells up north of us, it also doesn't help that most of our state is going through drought conditions right now.

5. Little Ruddy

Yes, most of our ducks move by from October till the end of November. We did shoot some in that time frame , but with this below average cold spell you would think that something would be moving through. That's why we need the seasons adjusted...big time.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Ruddy, I got to agree with you. I’ve been on the water and in the fields a lot this season.WHERE ARE THE DUCKS? DAMMNIT! Same with the geese. Ok, so my field has no geese, I can accept that, but why have I not seen this last month and a half and do not see lately where I have been hunting about every 3rd day for 2 weeks, no V’s of geese way up there, way over there....ANYWHERE? Not while hunting, not while driving not any time. Not even over Walmart’s parking lot. Ki In fairness, at Anna about a week ago just after leagal closing time, I did see a number of flocks of ducks very high and way out there, but that was once this whole season.

7. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Those magazines that tell us that there are "record numbers" of ducks headed our way are supported via ads from companies such as Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, and the like. We read the mags, get all jacked up, see the aforementioned brands in their "Best Of 2018" listing, and buy the gear.

Reports of "record numbers" , at least in the Atlantic Flyway, is fake news.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I drove up to NY pre -Xmas and that was the most geese I had seen along 301 MD/DE maybe ever, until I drove back the day after xmas and saw more. Guys in New England are still killing puddle ducks. We're all pissy now because we're virtually locked up.

9. Little Ruddy

Well, the last three ducks in Bull Island have left. The hairy head, the skunk head and the black duck are on a bus heading to Disney World. Two more days of cold and all will be frozen. Soon, there will be a walrus basking in the sun on an iceberg in Poquoson River. Think we'll make the cover of National Geographic Magazine?

10. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

USFWS has been over estimating the number of ducks since liberalization (defined as we don’t care how many ducks there are. We are trying to get every dollar from the hunters before they all quit)