Sometimes San Francisco gets it right.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by The Other David, May 14, 2019 at 9:24 PM.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Just sometimes, but they did this time.

San Francisco Becomes 1st US City to Ban Facial Recognition Technology

San Francisco supervisors voted to pass a surveillance oversight legislation Tuesday that includes a ban on the use of facial recognition technology by police and other city departments.

The city has become the first in the U.S. to outlaw the tech at a time when it is becoming a part of daily life, from international airports to home security cameras.

Those who support the ban say the technology is not only flawed, but a serious threat to civil rights, especially in a city that cherishes public protest and privacy. They worry people will one day not be able to go to a mall, the park or a school without being identified and tracked.

"Good policing does not mean living in a police state," said Supervisor Aaron Peskin, who introduced the measure, at a hearing last week. "Living in a safe and secure community does not mean living in a surveillance state."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...ng-Face-Recognition-Technology-509917131.html

The_Duck_Master, Huntsprig and tcc like this.
  2. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes San Francisco gets it right.

I agree.

They're batting .001

JP, ReaPeR105, Vahunter and 1 other person like this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

video footage was used at my work. Saved me a lot of hassles that one time.
    I believe there is a time an place in law enforcement for its use.

Law enforcement and fire departments do get a little weird about some (expensive ) technologies.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Of course frisco bans it. It's easier for criminals and illegals to hide now. Personally, I like the facial recognition tech for security reasons. It's useful but it's use needs to be tightly regulated.

IMO frisco got it wrong.

5. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Another POV... I don't think we want to be like China.

"Civil libertarians worry that the technology could morph into pervasive automated authoritarianism in which individuals can be tracked everywhere, in real time, similar to the version being developed by the Chinese government. The Chinese government reportedly aims, as part of its Skynet surveillance system, to add an additional 400 million video cameras to its existing 170 million over the next three years. The cameras employ real time facial recognition technology.
    As Matt Cagle, a lawyer with the ACLU of Northern California tells the Times, the technology "provides government with unprecedented power to track people going about their daily lives. That's incompatible with a healthy democracy."
    https://reason.com/2019/05/15/san-francisco-bans-police-use-of-facial-recognition/

6. The Other David

Hell no!

7. The Other David

If we need universal facial recognition, then we sure as hell DON'T need the 4th and 5th Amendments.

TheDuckSlayer and hartfish like this.
  8. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Liberty is a risky proposition.

JP, tcc, stevena198301 and 3 others like this.
  9. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

How do you feel about "stop and frisk?" Should the cops be free to stop anyone and pat them down because they look guilty of something?

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I KNEW that I shouldn't have commented on this because I don't follow the sheep in hating everything that could be beneficial to actual law enforcement. Looks like you folks forgot to read the part where I said it needs to be tightly regulated in its use.

Would you rather a terrorist was able to commit mass murder when such technology exists that could help prevent it?

I stand by my comment, This tech has it's place but needs to be tightly regulated.

OneShotBandit likes this.