Sorry about Sutter.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Baldplate, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Baldplate

Baldplate Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to hear that sutter is flooded out. How are the other valley refuges fairing regarding flooding. Does'nt Delevan and LDC usually have problems handling flood waters. With just a month to go I would hate to see some of this refuges closed due to flooding.

2. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Baldpate,

We seem to be dealing with these closures each year.....I just hoep we don't get the same results as last year when so many other refuges also closed....that hurt a lot of hunters.

3. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

I was at Yolo today and if this storm becomes what is anticipated.... kiss it goodbye. Not the end of the world though :h

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Losing hunting at Yolo is not the end of the world but it will suck a lot of ducks from other areas into another unhuntable area.

5. sparky(akaT2)

sparky(akaT2) Elite Refuge Member

Maybee Dan Y or Glen U can answer this for me. Why wasn't there any way for hunters to find out the status of Sutter for Sun. If I had not read drakeslayers post at 10:00 last night I would have been s%$# out of luck. I called the phone number for Sutter last night and there was nothing on the recording about the closure. I went by there this morning just in case and they had the gate up, but not even a sign on it. When I spoke to the lady on Fri. she told me the refuge would be open all weekend with reduced quota. Is there a hotline or a phone number that I don't know about to find out about closures?

6. Glenn Underwood

Glenn Underwood Senior Refuge Member

Sparky

The last thing I did before I left work on Friday was call to get an update on Sutter. I was told that it would be open.

The decision to close Sutter could have been made by Andy Atkinson or by the USFWS . The USFWS mans the Sutter phone and I expect that they did not anticpate Sutter closing and had no one in the office to update the recording on the weekend.

We're supposed to get hammered by a huge storm tonight. I just heard the weather forcast - flash flood warnings and wind gusts up to 50 miles an hour - so I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter is closed for a while.

I'll post a Sutter update when I get more information.

Glenn

7. spoones n teal

spoones n teal Senior Refuge Member

Sorry for sure; I have the first ressie I've ever drawn for there for saturday, so it being flooded sucks!

8. sparky(akaT2)

sparky(akaT2) Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply Glenn. My buddy stopped by the check station some time before noon on Sat. and was told sunday was a go with reduced quota. Was it shut down because of the current conditions or for what was expected?

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

On Saturday, the refuge stopped refilling for Saturday between 0930 and 1000. They also stated on the loud speaker the refuge would most likely be closed. Not refilling anymore on Saturday was a true indication. By early afternoon, it was stated closed.