South Dakota Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by rrduckhnt, May 8, 2017.

1. rrduckhnt

rrduckhnt Senior Refuge Member

Went on a Merriam's turkey hunt in South Dakota and had a ball.. There was 4 of us who went but one was really badly hen picked and had to leave early.. We hunted 5 days in the Black Hills with Mount Rushmore over our shoulder and I killed one and Lester a buddy of mine killed one also.. Mine weighted 22 lbs. had a 7 1/4" beard and 3/4" spurs, his was about the same just one kicker his didn't have the first tail feather. Boy was he pissed... Killed mine in the snow, it snowed 5" the second day we were there.. Here's a picture of mine

P4100015.JPG P4100010.JPG

Lester's bird without tail feathers......................................

P4110024.JPG P4110030.JPG

BirdJ likes this.
  2. rrduckhnt

After that we moved to the Rosebud Indian Reservation and had the best time, camped in the guides front yard and had turkeys on us about everyday.. By this time there was just 3 of us the hen picked guy had already went home.. On the Indian Reservation tags are good for two birds, in the Black Hills you can only kill one bird.. The first morning I had 2 long beards coming in I was going to kill both of them bad boys but at about 65 to 70 yards a REAL slutty hen cut them off just as they were getting into ranger and carried them off we her.. But my buddy BC got his first Merriam's long beard.. His was much brighter white than mine or the others we killed.....

IMG_0848.JPG

BirdJ likes this.
  3. rrduckhnt

Lester got number two the next day, it was a good one also, 24 lbs, 8" beard and 3/4" spurs.....BC got another one a jake, he's not hunted much and was determine to get his limit.

IMG_0883.JPG

Attached Files:

BirdJ likes this.
  4. rrduckhnt

The guide carry me over to a different location and pointed down into a gorge and said down there is where you need to go, so off I went the second evening around 2:30 carrying 4 decoys, shotgun, small chair, vest that weighted like 400lbs...maybe 25 lbs. but it seam worst.. Got down into the gorge after about a mile walk down through the canyon.. Found a beautiful spot put out my decoys including the ole FUNKY CHICKEN, got setup behind a small tree with some vines for cover, got all my calls out, set my vest up to block my hand movements and was just settling in when I moved some leaves right behind my chair and there was a full grown gobbler there covered with leaves, I couldn't even tell there was a turkey there when I sat down.. (Later my Indian guide told me a mountain lion had done that the breast was eaten out of it but the rest was there.. Pictures...

My spot................
    P4150075.JPG

My setup........................................

P4150071.JPG

Lion kill....................

KIMG0236.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. rrduckhnt

The whole time I was in that canyon I kept thinking that cat was stalking me until I saw the head of a long beard coming in.. He was in the afternoon sunlight coming in from about 110 yards away , never gobbled, and I never called just watched him as he came at the break neck speed of 1 yard at a time.. He would take two small steps .. spit.. drum.. blow up.. then look for a minute or two the do it again... Then at about 50 yards he sees the FUNKY CHICKEN and he went nuts.. came strutting in.. in full glory right up until a good load of number 5's nearly tore his head off. he fell just feet from ole Funky...

KIMG0241.jpg

There was 3 of us and we killed 8 Merriam's... And none of us had ever killed one before this was our first Merriam's after 2 trips to New Mexico by me over the years.. Came close a couple of times but this was my first successful trip for Merriam's.. Our Indian Guide was great, new where the turkey's were and put us on them....

IMG_0874.JPG

Here's one with our guide...

IMG_0879.JPG

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  6. rrduckhnt

A few pictures from our trip....................... IMG_0815.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

BirdJ likes this.
  7. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a good time!! Apparently I must have lost my touch - haven't had a tom even close. They have been pretty quiet. Got bad enough that I went fishing last night!! LL

8. rrduckhnt

We camped the whole time.. Here's a picture of my camper...............................

DSC00185.JPG

Picture of BC's camper.. Which I own also..

DSC00253.JPG

Got around 9 of them we use them all the time duck hunting, pheasant hunting and Turkey hunting........

IMG_20130730_175741.jpeg

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

That bottom pic looks like a bunch of Puerto Rican's live there...

10. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on a great hunt and happy you fella's scored on the Merriam's :tu