South Dakota's walk in hunting

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by olBadden, Dec 12, 2002.

1. olBadden

olBadden Guest

My friends and I went on a SD pheasant hunt last week and were very disappointed in the walk in hunting there! Driving 1200 miles to find the public land had been cut for hay and then had COWS on it! SD needs to do something about that. It was our first trip up there, we usually go to Kansas where the state won't allow that to go on. SD's public hunting wasn't worth the drive. Now, as for the people that live in SD... AWESOME comes to mind. Every farmer that I approached was so polite and kind that it made me feel proud to be an American. South Dakotas new motto: "great people, terrible walk in hunting"....

2. cappiecoo

cappiecoo Senior Refuge Member

we took the maximum legal limits in november nearly all on walk in areas. the state did allow some grazing and cutting due to drought.

i will be back in SD next year for sure

3. olBadden

olBadden Guest

Maybe we were just a little late. I'm sure the walk in was probably better at the first of the season. We too shall be back in South Dakota again next year. The people made the trip very pleasurable...:) :)

4. cappiecoo

i know we don't treat out of staters that nice, We got some of the people we hooked up with coming down later this season.
    we got there right as they were starting to cut the corn, which apparently was key. good upland dogs help a lot too.

5. olBadden

olBadden Guest

You fellars down in LA had a dog huh? We went up there blind w/o. The labs will make the trip next year. What part of November did you go Cap?

6. cappiecoo

brookings was our base. no dogs we probably only take 10 - 12 instead of 60.

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Brookings area good this year- took limits every day we hunted(5) on private land-just asked for permission- but out west it was dry and walkin cut or burned up -must check before driving- next year may be worse if not water this winter- samo in Ne etc.

8. olBadden

olBadden Guest

We weren't too far, aberdeen was our base. Four of us killed 28 in 4 days up there. Ralph, what part of the hunting season did you go? I've heard that the farmers won't grant permission early in the season. Is this what you all have found?

9. Budlightshooter

Budlightshooter Senior Refuge Member

heres another tip,

talk to some college kids, they usually know when and where everything is flying.

pheasant huntin up here in brookings was really good, and the duck hunting was great when we could get out in the morning before class.

i shot alot of pheasants though in the south near madison

the only thing i didnt like about huntin out here is if you have anything other than sd plates and not registared in sioux falls you cant hunt anywhere, farmers dont like the outa staters, except there is a few that are generous.

Peace

10. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

For years my Alaska plates opened most every door after first two weeks of season when Big money boys from east and ca were around- many west river folks hate for no intelligent reason - but asking will get you in many places and a gift etc after will keep you coming back.
    In ND some farmers/ranchers are ****ed at yokels who want to keep a;ll nonres out that they have opened farms to non res hunters and closed them to in staters- aint that a switch??