South Dakota's walk in hunting

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by olBadden, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

"Walk In Areas" are usually a joke. Why they pay people money for the privelage of hunting a cut alfalfa field is a question Game & Fish hasn't been able to answer. The Game Production Areas and Waterfowl Production Areas are usually very good though, expecially late in the season. I've experienced the West River hatred myself. They are one step away from painting chickens with krylon and charging people to shoot them. Too bad some of them have given up trying to make an honest living farming and have become game farm ******.
    When I was in the military I found that I had alot more in common with southerners than I did with people from any other region of the country.

2. olBadden

olBadden Guest

Hahaha.. "game farm ******!" that's a good'en! It's a shame that people up there have adapted those ways. Luckily I didn't run into any while there. I did run into one farmer that was somewhat hesitant about it, however I turned on that southern charm that my mama taught me at the Sunday dinner and charmed my way in! :D

People in Ar don't like people squirrel hunting on them anymore!! It's gotten to be such big money here with the damn Ducks Unlimited and every other unlimited that people can come up with to make a buck. I saw a liquor store the other day called "liquor unlimited"!! GIVE US PO BOYS A BREAK!! :h

3. cappiecoo

cappiecoo Senior Refuge Member

southern charm? anything above I-10 is a yankee to me. heck if a southerly breeze doesn't smell like the gulf it's to far north for me.:D

everybody we came across was quite amused with us. esp. our louisiana colloquisms.

but in the farmers defense, all lot of them are struggling and need to make a buck anyway they can. a little chunk i have hunted for 20 years just got leased. the old guy that owns it could not pass up 5k a year for 85 acres.

and it ain't that good - esp. when our property controls the water flow to that little chunck and it is left high and dry

4. olBadden

olBadden Guest

Hey Cap! Everything below I-10 is a Mexican to me! eeeeeyyaaaaaa. Pass the salsa! haha...

You boys down there if cajun is in your blood at all are damn near as tough to talk to as ali babba himself! Tibedeau and boudreaux!

I guess I would take the $5k for the field too, only if I needed it. Most of these big farmers spend 5k/day in chemicals to spray their crops. If I were you and controlled the water level of that field next to me... that sumbitch would look the mojave desert!:D

5. cappiecoo

cappiecoo Senior Refuge Member

wouldn't have had a problem except for the way he told us it was his. lease.

I know you guys own the 1,500 acres over here and hunt it all the time blah blah, and ya'll used to hunt here. but it's my lease now stay the f*** off. I don't cuss at people when i talk to them. and asked him not to do it to me. he went on about how great his spot was and blah blah. personally If I wanted to lease I could have but saw no point. I then informed him that he was using a private(ours) road to access his property and NOT to use it anymore (which then added about 35 minutes to his route to the property the round about way adds 15 miles of south la gravel roads. and one of OUR ditches was diverted to that parcel which i simply covered a culvert oh it's actually pretty good quail and dove hunting on the edges (which the treeline is actually on our property) the best part of alll... he is an aggie.

6. olBadden

olBadden Guest

You jerked the slack back on that ol boy! He should have looked before the leap. You taking away the right of way and the water! Why didn't you slap his mama too!! And to top it off he's a damn Aggie... When it rains for this lil fellar, it poors... Sounds like that Aggie won't be "giggin'" any ducks!

7. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

Hey Bud:

Lighten up! SD has been through a real bad drought this year. Land that had been signed up for CRP and walk-in had to be used to feed cattle because without rain grass doen't grow. The ranchers do it to **** off public land hunters. They'd have rather had rain and not had to. Those guys are selling beef for nothing right now to make a go of it. You're right on about the folks in SD. Very friendly and helpful.

Look at the pheasant production forecast on SD Game Fish & Parks website in the future and go when the hatch is good. I've hunted public and private and when the hatch is good there is no difference.

8. Pigeon

Pigeon Senior Refuge Member

Well glad to hear that you had a great time in south dakota. I am a resident of Brookings, SD and do a great amount of pheasant hunting around my work schedule. I raise a few of them great south dakota labradors too. All of which i hunt with and they get a great number of hours in the field hunting. this past year I had some kansas guys that I met along the road the night before opening day and invited them to hunt with me and some the of the other guys that i hunt with and they had a great time. I hunt strictly private land. they even came back to hunt again later in the season for another 3 days. they stayed at my house and we had a great time. I also met a guy from PA that hunted the brookings area for 10 days and he too is coming back. If you are in need of some great hookups on land or some just plain great sd hunting let me know. I will send you in the general direction. pm me with any questions. hope to see you back in sd hunting next year.

9. olBadden

olBadden Guest

WOW! See, this is what I was hoping to accomplish by starting this thread! Pigeon, that is an awesome offer you have made. If ever you are in Arkansas and need anything, let pm me for my contact numbers!

10. BigAL

BigAL Senior Refuge Member

I'm thinkin' trading a sothern duck hunt to the ol' boys from South Dakota would be like offering them a bale of hay. More ducks around those parts than you can shake a stick at in oct/nov. Good WI cheese works.:D