South Dakota's walk in hunting

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by olBadden, Dec 12, 2002.

1. cappiecoo

cappiecoo Senior Refuge Member

but can they still hunt in january?

can they catch 25 speckled trout, 5 redfish a few bass and sac au lait, ON THE WAY BACK FROM HUNTING in January. or where in S. D. can you catch a tarpon?

2. BigAL

BigAL Senior Refuge Member

Cappiecoo-
    If I were a farmer I sure would trade a hunt for some wintertime fun in the south..........but to be honest with ya - most farmers wouldn't blink an eye at your offer when they are exposed to, arguably , the best hunting & fishing in the US. Ducks, bucks, roosters, walleye, perch .........what's next???? I could, at any time, try to lure a SD farmer to shoot a trophy buck on private property in WI in return for some bird hunting............but when we see 10 pointers hangin' all over his barn walls it seems mute. try offering some food or drink you have in your state , that they don't. Works for us. Happy new year.;)

3. cappiecoo

Plus we are pretty colorful people down here. I have sent plenty food and drink. Heck we could probably stretch next years hunt into a 10 day hunt if need be. I think the key is different exposure, down here they can catch 10-15 lbs reds all day long or 100 schoolie specks(1-3lbs). or 100 bass(coastal areas). in the middle of winter. last time i checked nobody i know up there catches that many walleye. and podna a walleye aint got nuthin' on a redfish either in the water or the pot. perch are you kidding me........

let's see
    perch = bream or sac au lait
    walleye = speckled trout
    redfish = ??????????
    Bass =??????(winter time mind you)
    tarpon=???????
    tuna=??????
    red snapper=????????
    cobia=????????

mind you the only outdoor activity in SD in jan is ice fishing? best fishing in US gimmee a break. That's why we got 8 coming down in January.

and like i said the clincher. TARPON!:D

4. cappiecoo

you can get chees, seafood or whatever. over the WWW all they need is a credit card.:p

when we were up there people were asking us if THEY could come down here - BEFORE we were inviting them..

we did also catch 5 marlin last year. probably more than the whole state of wisconsin??

5. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

You be right- baton rouge- hunted in mT with some old boys from Lake Charles and have coon *** friends from lafeyette- as well as old huntingm pardner from Texas who has a place on Bayou near New Orleans- my wife is off to new Orleans also for a week with Alaska friends- man do i miss de food.

6. dakota duck

dakota duck Guest

Your a little miss-informed on the public land in SD. If you hunted Walk-in-areas you were hunting on private land. The GFP only leases the right to have access to the land for the public, but the land owner is free to do what he pleases ( with some guide lines.)with the land. Some of the Walk in areas that I hunt are plowed under (bare dirt) some years and left with some growth others.
    My recomendation is that you don't hunt just the walk in areas but try all the public lands: Waterfowl Production areas, Game Production areas, areas with rights owned by local Cities, Pheasant forever food plots, AND walk in areas. There are over 1million acres available for public hunting in SD so should be able to find some place to hunt.

You must also consider what part of the state you hunted. The Central and Southern parts of the state are alot more pasture and hay fields than the East and North parts of the state ( less chance of fields being mowed/grazed) also consider the fact that 95% of the pheasant population is east of the Missouri river in SD.

If you have any plans to come back this way drop us a line on the SD Forum and we can help you find some better places to hunt.

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Wow dakota Duck- having hunted Winner, Presho, Pierre, Chamberlain, Hoven, etc etc and listened to folks West river I'd of thought that 95% of the pheasant in SD were west River. just started looking at the brookings area and talking to folks around Sioux Falls.
    Very interesting.

8. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

Ralph- was the hunting as good as advertised around Winner? I hear people pay a good price to hunt around there but I have a family friend that farms outside of winner and I might be able to to go up there sometime. I just don't feel like spendin the money on the out of state license.

9. dakota duck

dakota duck Guest

there are many good areas right next to the Missouri River but once you get a little bit west of it the birds realy thin out. The 95% figure was put out by the GFP by the way. In my experience I have noticed that there are fewer birds west river but they tend to be concentrated into smaller areas ,so if you find a good spot stick to it.

I hunt in the area around Lemmon 2 to 3 times a year and they seem to have alot of birds but I drive for an hour through hill country with no birds (pheasants) anywhere to get to Lemmon.

The Winner, Presho, Pierre (which is EAST river) areas have lots of birds but also lots of bird hunters. And that means you will have to pay to hunt private land. Also, the majority of pheasant"farms" with planted "tame" birds are in those areas.
    You will have lots of hunters to compete with around those areas.

10. Koda

Koda Refuge Member

How about around McPherson Co.?? Seems like there is alot of public land in that and the surrounding counties. Is there typically alot of pressure? How about bird numbers?