South Dakota's walk in hunting

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by olBadden, Dec 12, 2002.

1. olBadden

olBadden Guest

I'm all about paying my way, It's just very difficult for me to pay $20 for a chance at one "souped-up chicken" called a pheasant. That's the going rate on the pheasant hunts in Arkansas.

If I were to offer a land owner money to hunt, what would be a reasonable amount? I would hate to insult the gentleman.

2. Koda

Koda Refuge Member

From what I have seen it is usually around $150 per gun. Thats way to expensive for me. Is there other private land options for less?

3. olBadden

olBadden Guest

That's comparible to an unguided duck hunt down here. If you were to limit out, that would be $50 per bird!!!! Yeah right! Chicken is $2/lb!

4. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

Dakota- Do you think there are enough birds around Lemmon to justify driving across nebraska and south dakota to hunt there? I talked to a family friend at a wedding and the guy owns a ranch near Lemmon and said I could come up there. He said there were birds, but some peoples definition of a lot of birds is different from others. I know it all depends on the exact spot your hunting but hearing about the number of birds from someone who hunts there really helps.

5. dakota duck

dakota duck Guest

I am trying to answer 2 questions so forgive me if this gets confusing...

Hunting Mcphearson county: I actually live in Mcphearson county (LEOLA) if your looking just for pheasants then it is probably not the best county to hunt. If you look at a topical map you will see a line of hills that starts near Leola and runs West to about Eureka. This is part of the famous Prarie Pothole Region, some of the best duck hunting in the state/nation. But it is mostly grazing land and grass land, not much for crops, trees, or slough grass. Lots of ducks and grouse but not many pheasants. The best areas in Mcphearson Co. for ringnecks are the extreme southern half and right around Eureka on West. Brown county is next to McPhearson and it has some great bird hunting( I do 80% of my pheasant hunting in Brown Co.). Edmonds Co. isn't to bad either.

Hunting near Lemmon: I would ask if he has any crop land to hunt, not just grass land. There are some good public areas around too. The best areas I have hunted have been around the Shadehill Reseviour. The birds around there tend to be bigger and older than most other places. One thing to keep in mind is don't go during antelope season, too many other hunters. If your driving all that way the fact that you have some private land to hunt is a big plus. Have you thought about stoping somewhere else along the way to try your luck and have something to compare your Lemmon hunt to? Also check the water conditions next year, we are in a draught that has affected bird numbers this year and west river counties have been hardest hit.

6. Husker870

Husker870 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply dakota. I hear ya on the drought, were trying to make it through down here also.

7. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

first i would like to know where you were hunting it all depends on the area of the state sounds like you were out west and with the drought we had this year the gov decided to let farmers and ranchers cut lands for hay and grazing it is so drry out here my uncle who ranches has got pastures he hasnt put cows in for over a year and the grass is still only about 4 inches high
    So before you go bad mouthing something maybe you should learn the whole story
    I hope it is more important for you to let ranchers put food on there tables first over your hunting trip
    If you still want to come to SD and hunt try the more easten side of the state more public lands and the drought has not hurt that area as bad plenty of good bird areas

8. olBadden

olBadden Guest

Read all of the replies you jackass. We've already touched on this subject. How dare you question whether or not it's more important to me for someone's family to be fed than myself killing pheasants. This is very insulting and you should keep remarks like that to yourself.