Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Southern Iowa Guys in SE Missouri Hunting SKIPPED OUT

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by riverland, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

Only would have needed 5 stuffers

2. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

iam a waterfowler,travel some to hunt.iam a farmer. iam a land owner.iam also a business owner.my word is my honor.if i have a problem,it is delt with soon after reconition.to air your differances here is sad.to skip town is worse.bad dog

3. MO_Greenhead

MO_Greenhead New Member

Yea I can see where the Iowa guys were pretty upset after making that trip to receive nothing as advertised!! I don't agree with not paying anything, but this whole story certainly has two sides to it and appears BOTH parties are GUILTY of being WRONG!!

Riverland: Did you tell the guys prior to their trip that they were leasing 2600 acres and 6 pits for $1000? When they got there to hunt, is that what they were given?

FYI...farmers hate snow geese and will give you permission for free! Just ask and respect the land.

4. prairie roamer

prairie roamer Senior Refuge Member

Bad Dog is right on. If the deal was bad to begin with you should have went right down to speak with Riverland and ended the hunt right there, settled and left. Better yet you should have gone and scouted the area that day and if it fit your hunting style then pay to get on or ask for a daily rate. By staying you only made things worse. I have done several pay for access type hunts, all self guided, and some of them are good and some not so good, but that is hunting in a nutshell. But you should pay for what you received, you can't remake the verbal agreement after the hunt. In my experience the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You'd might be surprised what the owner/agent will offer.

5. duckslayer2007

duckslayer2007 Senior Refuge Member

As a local in my area, we have tons of guides that come through. Ridiculously, nothing worse then when guides land lock land because they are offering farmers $$$$$$ for hunts.
    Very irritating when you gain permission from a landowner and you show up the next morning and a guide is setting up because "he paid the farmer".

That be irrelevant but personally I have never had to pay a landowner to hunt. Be respectful, build a relationship and help them out, and they will help you out. When we travel to ND we buy turkeys and hams for the farmers, and we are able to gain access on all of their land.

6. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

No question the Iowa guys owe the money. They showed up, hunted, made their own choice to move to a new location, doesn't mean they shouldn't pay. No one can predict where the birds are everyday I am thinking that is why they wanted it nine days. Just skipping town is crawfishing at it's finest.

7. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

You still are buying your way on the land by offering them a turkey or ham it is not cash but is it not the same thing? How is it different? Explain please..

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

No taxes or 1099's on hams or turkeys!

9. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Or CASH..................

10. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I think it is different because it is an act of appreciation not a fee, didn't have to do just did to be grateful to the landowner.
    We do the same on the ground we hunt on be it sharing the meat from a hunt or giving a thank you note with restaurant gift certificate.

Is it still illegal for land owners to charge for hunting in Canada? What do you do?