Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Southern Ontario Duck Opener

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by The Old Taz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

I've been working real hard all Spring and Summer in anticipation for duck opener...it did not disappoint. This year I planted 3 acres of japanese millet and barnyard millet back in July. The crop was the best ever but the rains never came. I just had enough water out back and the ducks have been hitting the millets hard during the week prior.

Me, the wife, my youngest son and a friend had a great bonfire Friday night. We watched well over a hundred ducks go to roost at 6:50pm. We made sure they were gone and put out 3 dozen decoys as it was getting dark.

5:10am came quick on Saturday morning and we headed back on the 4 wheelers with everything else we needed. The ducks were relentless all morning. We finished off very quickly with 18 ducks and 3 geese. Mallards, woodies and pintails.

Here's the pond and the spread. There is lots of water in the millet but hard to see...

[​IMG]

The wife picking up some birds...

[​IMG]

Breakfast time. Bacon and eggs fresh from our farm...

[​IMG]

Me and my buddy...

[​IMG]
    Flock after flock came in after we finished. They get a free pass until next hunt. I even watched a flock of 100ish drop in today, I guess the full moon has them moving...

[​IMG]

We got into the doves after the duck hunt. Not as many as I expected but enough for another good hunt.

Taz

2. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

Great report. You got us drooling down South.

3. pluckaduck

pluckaduck New Member

Hey great report. In regards to your planting millet, did you do this in dry ground or wet? Was the water moving or stagnant?
    I am in northern Ontario where we have lots of water, but also lots of bush as well and not lots of food for the limited puddle ducks, but great fish food for the divers. We do have a river system that feeds our lake on the resort, do you think I could plant Millet in the river areas and the birds will come? Please share your thoughts, thanks

4. The Old Taz

I plant the millet on mud flats as the water draws down. The wetter and sloppier the soil, the better. I'm sure it would grow up there. No guarantees if the birds will come too but its a cheap gamble. Just hand sow the seed on exposed shorelines as the water slowly drops in late June (I put mine in mid July but I'm south of Hamilton). It grows better when it gets its feet wet.

5. pluckaduck

pluckaduck New Member

Hey thanks for the info, do you know where one can get Millet in Ontario? How deep will it grow, we have lots of area but most is sterile with only cattails and timber? Thanks and good luck

6. The Old Taz

7. pluckaduck

pluckaduck New Member

Thanks for the info Taz, shoot straight

8. northerner

northerner Senior Refuge Member

Might not want to plant millet if you're on Crown Land/waters. Taz is doing his planting and habitat management on his own private land...

Not wanting to be a buzzkill, just trying to keep more invasives out of Ontario (pretty sure millet is not native, but I could be wrong).

9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

We plant Japanese millet a lot here in the SE US. I would say that less than 1% volunteers the year after planting a spot and zero in year two.

10. spcamno

spcamno New Member

Awesome post and great pictures thanks for sharing!

I too wants to know where to find Japanese millet and I'm in the GTA.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
    SPC