Southern style "Chicken-fried" duck breasts

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by DuckLabs, Jan 6, 2008.

1. DuckLabs

DuckLabs Elite Refuge Member

By request with pics, enjoy!

Start by adding a liberal covering of Dale's seasoning to several big duck, or goose, breast halves. For best results, use Dale's seasoning only. Cover bowl and place in the fridge for 1 hour only.

[​IMG]

Note: There is nothing on the breasts in the photo, it's just some kind of weird reflection of the lights that makes it look like silver skin or something on the meat.

Next, remove breast pieces from bowl and shake excess seasoning from the meat and place in foodsaver bags and seal. (If you don't have a foodsaver, you can place in large ziplock bags instead.)

Then place bags in the fridge for 5 days to age. Cut the time to 3 days if you used ziplock bags. (DO NOT FREEZE.)

[​IMG]

2. DuckLabs

Cut up 1-2 pounds of thick-sliced bacon into small pieces and place in large cast-iron skillet. Render bacon on medium-high heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DuckLabs

Once all bacon fat has been rendered out, scoop out most of the bacon pieces, but be sure to leave plenty of the tiny bits in the skillet. They will add flavor to the pan-gravy later.

[​IMG]

Place bacon bits on cutting board and chop them up into very small pieces. Put them on a paper towel and let them cool and dry. Place them in a container and hang on to them for later use on a salads or a baked potato. (Much better than store bought bacon bits.)

[​IMG]

4. DuckLabs

Use a tenderizing mallet and pound each breast on both sides until the desired thickness is achieved. Be careful not to pound them too thin. It is very important that you use the side of the mallet with the spike things on it. (Unless you want your wife to kill you, do this step outside on the patio. Stuff will splatter all over the kitchen if you don't. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now season both sides of the breasts with salt and pepper. Set them aside while you prepare your ingredients for the next step. It is very important to season the breasts at this point before you bread them for frying.

[​IMG]

5. DuckLabs

Place about 2 or 3 cups of milk in a shallow bowl and add one large egg. Beat milk and eggs together until well mixed.

Pour some flour out onto one side of a large rectangular cookie-sheet, and pour some italian bread crumbs out onto the other half of the sheet

Place each breast in the flour (do not dip in milk/egg wash yet). Press each breast in the flour making sure to fully coat each piece using just the natural moisture that was already present on the meat.

Now gently dip each breast in the milk/egg and place into the italian bread crumbs until fully coated. (Note, I was out of Italian bread crumbs when I cooked this batch so I did not include pics of that step. This recipe is not nearly as good without it so make sure to include this step when you try this recipe.)

Then place the breasts into skillet on medium-high heat for about 1-2 minutes, then flip each breast for another 1-2 minutes. (Be careful not to overcook. The breading will easily scorch if cooked too long.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DuckLabs

Once the breasts have been removed from the skillet, turn the heat to low and let the grease cool a bit. Then add a stick of butter and melt it into the bacon grease.

Then slowly add flour a little at a time and whisk into the bacon grease. Be sure to scrape up the tasty little bits of goodness stuck to the bottom of the skillet.

Once everything begins to incorporate and thicken up, slowly add some milk or half/half to the gravy and whisk it in until desired thickness and consistency is acheived.

Make sure to add salt/pepper to the gravy and taste it often until you get it right. The gravy will be very bland if not seasoned properly during this step.

The batteries on my camera died and the complete gravy process was not captured. I only got 2 pics from early in the process. Just use your eyes to judge as you go. You know what good gravy looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DuckLabs

Now just pour some gravy over your duck breasts and add your favorite veggies and some mashed taters to the plate and you've got a meal fit for a king.

If you try this recipe, please post up your results or PM me and let me know how it worked out for you.

ENJOY!!!

8. DuckLabs

9. sprigman

sprigman Elite Refuge Member

Do any local grocery store chains carry it or do you have to order it. I've never seen it before.

10. DuckLabs

I've never had any trouble finding it anywhere in Texas. Any of the larger supermarket chains should have it.