SP10 issue, and a plug for Terror Tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Paul Brennan, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Paul Brennan

Paul Brennan New Member

How'd guys. Long time lurker, first time poster

Been a 10 gauge fan for awhile running a BPS10 with both .705 and .720 Terrors. Just came across a steal on a factory camo SP10 turkey rig with 23" barrel, plus a non matching (parkerized) vent rib 30". Both tapped for remchokes. With Jeff's .720 terror both barrels pattern factory Hevishot BBB at about 80%. I say "about" cause I have no idea what hevishot weighs, was extrapolating from steel weight, that shell is a duplex load with 2 shot sizes etc. Anyway, impressive stuff. Blows big honkers out of the sky at impressive distances. Anyone else running a sub 26" goose gun??

So the problem with the gun is the bolt release button. It is extremely difficult to actuate (read-96% of the population would say "ow" and stop pushing before the bolt dropped) as well as protruding into the receiver just enough to hinder normal operation of the shell lifter. Without ever so slightly depressing the bolt release, you cannot move the lifter into the receiver to load a shell.

My first thought was to remove the bolt catch mechanism, find the trouble spots and hand stone them until the surfaces are cleaned up, fitting along the way

My second thought was there must be wear and tear somewhere, and removing material might not be the answer, but rather replacing something (although after examination I'm not sure where that would be)

I've never owned an SP10 before but have worked on numerous 1148s, 1100s, 1187s and 870s so I feel comfortable diving into this one.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the lengthy first post. If I could upload a video it would be clear in about 4 seconds but I have no idea how haha.

Thanks

Paul

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Without actually seeing the gun it's tough to call.
    From what your describing either the Shell Stop is Bent/Damaged, the Shell stop Pivot Pin is worn out or the Shell Stop Spring is worn or broken. My SP-10 never had issues however my Mag-10 was doing the same thing, back then I could still get Ithaca factory parts so I replaced the Pivot Pin and Spring, gun worked fine after that.
    Numrich has most of the parts, you may have to hunt down a spring if that's the issue.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/sp10?page=3

3. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

My first suspicion would be grit or a seed/pine needle under something. Take it apart over a surface to collect anything that falls out. Blow everything out with air. Lightly lube and reassemble. See if it is fixed.

4. Paul Brennan

Paul Brennan New Member

Great info and advice on both points thanks guys. I have been looking for the time to detail strip it and will report back ASAP

5. Big Gun

Big Gun Senior Refuge Member

I have a gun just like yours actually like both of yours, SP10 and BPS. The SP bolt release is stiff and I will tell you this don't ever shut it on your thumb . Almost cut the end of mine off with the ejector. They are killers but both of my are pretty much relegated to sitting in the safe.

6. Paul Brennan

Paul Brennan New Member

So I disassembled, cleaned and lubed everything. No change. Stoned the end of the shell stop and it now clears the lifter, but that shouldn't have been necessary.....more on that later. Im also experiencing a variety of malfunctions. Failure to feed mostly, which occurs when the shell stop either fails to allow a new shell to drop from the magazine, or hangs up the bolt somehow. The shell stop, pin and spring all appear to be in good shape, but I'm suspicious the shell stop is bent. If it were at a slightly different angel, the button would be at the correct angle to the receiver, also would have less distance to travel ie be easier to push, and the opposite end would have cleared the shell lifter without issue.

I'm reluctant to spend $100 on a new shell stop, but short of some real gunsmithing I don't see any other options